WILLIAM OPTICS

Here is the place for vendors to make their product annoucement.
williamopticsmarketing
Vendor

Post by williamopticsmarketing »

kingkong wrote:hi Daniel, a big welcome to williamoptics. please send my highest regards to William and David Yang.

i saw on a cloudynight report that WO is coming up with a binoview-refractor. any early news on the binoviewer or the bino-refractor package for us?

i just asked opt.com to quote me a z66 semi-apo. personally, it's a pity that i have to buy WO products from overseas (mostly opt or hk) instead of your local malaysian dealer whose prices are often significantly higher.
Hi Kingkong (?),

thank you for your welcome.

Yes, ZS80S, the limited short version optimized for binoviewing and sold also in pacakge with binoviewers, is in the pipeline! In fact, it will be released shortly. Hang on in there! Hang on in there, if that's what you want! Cannot comment yet on pricing.

We do not authorize any USA dealers to sell overseas. I think it's worth paying a little bit more for a local service. Consider that when buying overseas you'd also have to pay freight, you have to pay duties, you make your scope travel a long way with higher risks, and if something goes wrong, you have to revet to the foreign vendor with additional costs for you!

I promise I will look into the pricing issue, but understand that there's a big difference between the huge USA market and other markets. One is freight costs, the other is VAT, and margins... Difficult issues.

ZS66 Petzval ED is a great scope anyway! You cannot go wrong with it.

More news later!

Daniel
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

Hi Daniel, welcome to sgastro! i am a proud owner of some of your products :-)

What is the status of the Megrez 105 f/7 EDT? How does it perform compared to, say, Tak FS102?

Any bigger petzvals in the making?

cheers,
Arief
Last edited by ariefm71 on Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

Hi Daniel,

Welcome to SingAstro! I've read some articles on a dual-speed focuser for FLT in the yahoo groups. Any idea when it will be available??

Charlie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The gentle light of a distant galaxy
must needs pour into mine eye.
Or i shall with bent and turned,
fall me down, distraught..To die.
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

williamopticsmarketing wrote: We do not authorize any USA dealers to sell overseas. I think it's worth paying a little bit more for a local service. Consider that when buying overseas you'd also have to pay freight, you have to pay duties, you make your scope travel a long way with higher risks, and if something goes wrong, you have to revet to the foreign vendor with additional costs for you!
I promise I will look into the pricing issue, but understand that there's a big difference between the huge USA market and other markets. One is freight costs, the other is VAT, and margins... Difficult issues.
i live in borneo. i got all my stuffs flown in. and it doesn't really make much different whether they are flown in from kuala lumpur, singapore, HK or usa. my experience with most vendors in west malaysia are ok but imo don't necessarily justify the high price differences they charge.

i live and work here for years and i know all the arguments about market size and shipping, etc. used by many businesses. in general, the facts are there are less competition here too and the dealers often have monopoly, i can fly small volume in from usa by usps ems and still save a few hundred RM. telescope and accessories have 0 duties in malaysia, sale tax is applicable, which i still have to pay if i buy from overseas - just like VAT in sg. and overhead in malaysia is much much lower than in sg, hk, taiwan and usa.

for established brands like WO, there's really no need to appoint sole dealer which may be hundreds of km from a some of your potential and existing customers.

perhaps you need to find out how many percent of your customers here bought their scope from your local dealers. imho, we customer should be allowed to make informed decision about what we buy and where we buy from.

i don't pretend to know how the amateur astronomy market works. this is just my 2 cents worth of feedback.
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

williamopticsmarketing wrote:
Tachyon wrote:Hi Daniel!
Perhaps you would also like to address the copyright issues on the submitted pictures (as discussed in Cloudynights Forum).
In fact that is a non-issue, because the copyright of any pic lies with the owner of the pic itself, and WO only shows it on its website with the owner's permission.
does that apply to the vincent van goth's starry night shown on the WO website as well? :wink:

just kidding.

kong
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

HI Daniel,
Welcome to Singastro! Do join in the other threads if you can.
Cheeers!

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
williamopticsmarketing
Vendor

Hi Arief,
we will give more news on the Megrez 105 ED once it's ready for shipping, but I doubt you will hear from me a comparison with competitors' products... You will have to check that out for yourself, I am afraid! I can only say, you will not be disappointed by this triplet ED, trust me.

The 105 lenses are finished, we in the coating process. The tubes are getting some last minute small changes, so we should be ready shortly.

Daniel
williamopticsmarketing
Vendor

Charlie,
ditto for the 2-speed... We are working on it and we should be able to release it shortly at a very competitive price. We will keep you posted.
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

williamopticsmarketing wrote:Also, in Taiwan is also possible to purchase from us directly.Daniel
Hi Daniel,

Thank you for the info! How can I purchase directly from WO in Taipei? I will do that when I go back.

Thanks!

Andrew
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
williamopticsmarketing
Vendor

Kong, thank you for your advice and opinion.

Your point is well received and we sympathise, I'll see what we can do to improve; but I wish it were that easy... FYI, we do not have exclusive dealerships in place anywhere in SE Asia, it's just the way the market is, too small, few dealers and end-users.

In fact, we have addded a few dealers in the area in the last 6 months... Did people notice that?

I do not know whether shipping from Malaysia or the USA costs you the same; if that's the case, let me know because I may want to work with that shipping company (or maybe do not, if they charge the same from Malaysia as from the USA!!).

If you anyone has some specific example/complaint, you are welcome to email me directly at:

marketing@william-optics.com

Just out of curiosity, how much is VAT in Malaysia?

Daniel

p.s.

Great painter but bad astro-photographer that Van Gogh boy, huh! ;-)