Fungus-Free Dry Boxes for your storage

Here is the place for vendors to make their product annoucement.
HG

Fungus-Free Dry Boxes for your storage

Post by HG »

I've just come onboard and the first thing I found was talk of people having problems with fungus and humidity.

Several people here whom I recognise have in fact been to my showroom in Tajong Pagar Plaza in the past asking about my fungus-free dry boxes. Some are using my products.

I've been designing and making these dry boxes for the past 15 years or so, starting as a personal need to protect my own photo gear. My own photo club members got me involved further and that was how I went into this as a business. I have had tremendous support from photo club members.

Now, as I read these threads, I see a similar headache you guys are having. Many are not sure what brand or products to use. Others are worried about buying "white elephants".

If there are sufficent interest here, I will make a size that is more suited to your needs. Most dry boxes that I make and other brands as well, are designed with camera gear and small consumer electronics in mind. I know there is a need for a fungus-free dry box that will take most scopes. Work with me, tell me how you want the cabinet to be in terms of size and storage configurations but leave the RH control and engineering part to me. My own experience in the past also taught me that if cost can be brought down, there will be a more interesting market. That is something I can make happen but I need to see sufficient interest so if you guys can co-operate and show me the interest level, I will spend time making a fungus-free dry box specially for this community.

Any interest at all? Let me know - just email me henry.h.c.goh(at)gmail.com. A word of caution, I do not respond to rude people so please show me some courtesy and I certainly will do likewise for you.

Thank you.

Regards,
HG

ps: I have very heavy mail traffic from various photo fora so kindly mark your subject line to read "Singastro - Dry Box". That way it will get my attention quicker.

http://www.drybox.rodex.com
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Welcome to SingAstro!!!

Good to see that there is actually a vendor that can help those big scope owner to build a custom dry box... some of the big scope owner will be very happy... :D :D :D

Just wonder how much does it cost to get a custom dry box ??

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
HG

Post by HG »

If one is to custom build just 1 or 2 units, it would definitely be expensive. We need to remember, this is going to be fabricated out of steel sheets and not wood so there is always some tooling involved. I would advise against it. However, if we have a reasonable response and I feel there will be continued interest, then I will bear the initial tooling and setup with the hope that in the longer term I won't be bleeding. The first 100 or so units will defintely be somewhat "subsidised" otherwise price will be high.

Let's see what kind of interest comes out of this first.

Thank you for reading.
siahheng

Post by siahheng »

Hi, my celestron is huge (at least I think so). When folded, it will need at least 70 x 60 x 40 cm space just for the base and the OTA. Also need space for the eyepieces. Lastly, my telescope weighs 42 pounds or 20 kg.

I would be interested in the pricing for such a unit. Presently, I am using a modified bookcase sealed with sealant and with silica gel packs (rechargable) to lower the humidity.

Thanks.

Siah Heng
HG

Post by HG »

Siah Heng,

Would a clear internal footprint of say 66cm x 66cm x 90cm(H) be suitable? We may be able to squeeze in 1 shelf for those small items. 20kg is not a problem because some of my products are built for 80kg per shelf while others are made to withstand 100kg.

Would a cabinet with or without glass doors be better?
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

Siah Heng,

Would a clear internal footprint of say 66cm x 66cm x 90cm(H) be suitable?
Do you have 66cm x 66cm x 130cm(H) instead? no need glass door.
HG

Post by HG »

We are talking about making a new and specific product so going to 120cm height is not an issue but be mindful that the bigger we go, cost goes up, sometimes quite significantly too. So my next question to you is why 120cm?

HG
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

Siah Heng,

I think you should dismantle the OTA from the mount for storage. The OTA will then require less space. The rest of the space can be used to hold your camera, lenses, eyepieces, barlows and other optical accessories. The OTA alone should only be about 6kg.
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

We are talking about making a new and specific product so going to 120cm height is not an issue but be mindful that the bigger we go, cost goes up, sometimes quite significantly too. So my next question to you is why 120cm?

HG
Sorry, changed to 130mm. My new scope will be 50" high.
HG

Post by HG »

OK, that makes sense. Please tell me, are there many 50" scopes in use here? (just wanted to fully understand how this will affect the bulk of users)

Thank you.

HG