Bidded PST Rejected due to Fungus - Up for Sale Again

Here is the place for vendors to make their product annoucement.
Lee
Vendor

Bidded PST Rejected due to Fungus - Up for Sale Again

Post by Lee »

Hi all,

The recently Bidded PST @ S$770 was rejected after a thorough inspection by the customer and found to have many 'tiny white fungus spots' (see attached).

However I still think this will not degrade the overall performance of the PST and still very much value for money. I will again put this PST for Special Sale here for the same price of S$770 expiring this Friday.

Note: Will provide 100% money back warranty for the first 3 days and 90% for the next 11 days.

Thanks.

** comment by customer *****
I have discovered that there appears to be about 15 white spots on the
inside of the lens of the PST which I bought yesterday. I think these may
be fungus.

Attached is a photo.

I'm not sure if the lens can be opened to be cleaned. Since this is a solar
filter scope, I don't want to do anything wrongly.

The safety instructions in the manual says "Do not attempt to disassemble
the PST. Doing so will void your warranty and may compromise your safety."

I think the PST certainly does not qualify as "90% pristine condition".

Can you ask Coronado if the PST can be safely opened to clean the white
spots easily, and if so, how? If not, I may have to return it.

starfinder

Post by starfinder »

I am the person who bidded successfully for the PST yesterday.

I wish to add that the PST in normal lightning conditions does look like "90% pristine condition" as advertised.

The front solar filter is reflective like a mirror, so the white spots are not apparent. I too didn't see them upon a visual inspection at Mars Watch yesterday.

However, when I looked at the lens in bright light today (Sunday), I noticed the small white spots beyond the reflective front surface. This may also be seen by shining a bright torch light into the lens.

I thank Mr. Lee for agreeing to take back the item. It's a pity there are these spots, since I had a nice view of solar features this morning, including a flare / prominence jutting off the side of the sun, and a huge zig-zag line on the disc.

I showed the PST to a fellow Singastro member this evening, who thought too that the white spots may be fungus, though he is not sure of their exact nature.
Lee
Vendor

Post by Lee »

Hi,

The demo PST offer of S$770 will expire this Friday and will not be repeated maybe on the next Saturn or Mars Watch.

Our normal PST now is S$ 1,300 (w/o warr) & S$ 1,550 (w warranty)
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Have you seen mine?
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
jermng

Post by jermng »

Wow! :shock:
Does that affect image quality alot? What if that was on a "normal" refractor? =) My 80mm seems to have the same problem .. but much less .. only on the outer fringes ... =)

Cheers!
Jeremy Ng
rlow

Post by rlow »

Andrew, what happen to your pst? Is that also fungus or lens discoloration?
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

It's a known defect in the first batches of PST. Check here:
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/ ... ll/fpart/1

Jeremy: Yes it does. Check out the image below taken with the 'defect'. It's due to breakdown in coating. Did you send your 80mm back?

Note: This defect concerns only *my* PST, not the PST for sale by Lee at the beginning of this post!
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
jermng

Post by jermng »

My 80mm is cos of Spore's humid weather .. HAHA .. bought it 2nd hand with slight fungus .. but I think I made it slightly worse ... seems like silica gel doesn't really help .... =( argh .. hee
Anyway, I heard arief sent his APO back to WO to change the objective .. dunnoe whether it's worth to send mine in in future ... mine's the SD version .. so it might be better to look for a more cost effective solution ...=)
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

Anyway, I heard arief sent his APO back to WO to change the objective .. dunnoe whether it's worth to send mine in in future ... mine's the SD version .. so it might be better to look for a more cost effective solution ...=)
errr, the objective upgrade is not really officially available from WO, it was a special case only for me :-)
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Update: My scope has been repaired with a brand new objective lens! It is WHOLE again!

Cheers!