Needs Interesting Astro Spinnets for Jogging Placards

Here is the place for vendors to make their product annoucement.
Lee
Vendor

Needs Interesting Astro Spinnets for Jogging Placards

Post by Lee »

Hi,

The site architect requests for some interesting Astro Spinnets for their jogging placards; something astrological - ie comet/planet related,
when is the next comets coming, Near Earth Objects,etc.

Examples :-

Near Earth Object (NEO)
A Near-Earth Object (NEO) is an asteroid or comet whose orbit brings it close to the Earth; this includes an object that will come close to the Earth at some point in its future orbital evolution. NEOs generally result from objects that have experienced gravitational perturbations from nearby planets, moving them into orbits that allow them to come near to the Earth.

1st Historical View of Impacting Comet on Jupiter
In 1994, over the course of a week in July, fragments of comet P/Shoemaker-Levy 9 collided spectacularly with Jupiter. Comet fragments, each up to two kilometres in size, collided with the atmosphere of Jupiter, sending out plumes many thousands of kilometres high. This was the first event of its kind - a major collision between two bodies of the solar system - to be directly observed, and was instrumental in making scientists and the general public alike think of the possibilities of something similar happening to Earth.

Where is Halley Comet Now ?
This famous comet was the first to be recognised as a periodic comet. Astronomer Edmond Halley deduced that the bright comets seen in the 1531, 1607 and 1682 were all the same comet and predicted to return in 1758. And true enough it was there!. Comet Halley passes close to Earth approximately every 76 years and brightness vary with each passing. Probably the best appearance was in 1837, when Halley’s comet reached a magnitude of –3(almost as bright as Venus), and its tail covered more than 60 degrees in the night sky.

Halley’s last appearance in 1986 was relatively disappointing and could be seen in Singapore then as a dim hazy patch of light at it best in April that year. As of 2005 Halley comet is about 30 au (30 times Sun-Earth distance) from Earth in the constellation ‘Hydra’. It will return to Earth around year 2062.

The names of the seven days of the week were based on the names of the celestial objects originally considered to be planets: the Sun, the Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, and Saturn.

The universe is so vast in relation to the matter it contains that it can be compared with a building twenty miles long, twenty miles wide, and twenty miles high that contains only a single grain of sand.

I will need more of the above; preferably more on NEO, potential effect on Earth existence cause by external bodies, etc...

Appreciate any inputs and those selected for actual placement will be guaranteed a visit to the Observatory & maybe even a 1 night stay :)

Thank you !
Wee Kiong
TPS
rlow

Post by rlow »

Hi Wee Kiong, maybe I can help. Will contact you to find out more details.
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

I think I can help too.......

Can I give you snippets on astrological lores?
Lee
Vendor

Post by Lee »

VinSnr wrote:I think I can help too.......

Thanks, I got a book on that.
Needs something more current, more Earth Threatening; i.e

- the next NEO to hit Earth
- when will Earth disappear if we maintain current orbit status
- when is the next Naked eye comet
- Evidence of Lifeform or Real contact from Outer Space
- Latest on Area 51

... something that will let us ponder for a while, understand the insignificant of Earth as a part of the Universe but what else Earthing's can do to protect out future.

Probably 5-6 sentences will do. It will be engraved on stainless placards located around the jogging tracks.
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

Lee wrote:
VinSnr wrote:I think I can help too.......

Thanks, I got a book on that.
Needs something more current, more Earth Threatening; i.e

- the next NEO to hit Earth
- when will Earth disappear if we maintain current orbit status
- when is the next Naked eye comet
- Evidence of Lifeform or Real contact from Outer Space
- Latest on Area 51

... something that will let us ponder for a while, understand the insignificant of Earth as a part of the Universe but what else Earthing's can do to protect out future.

Probably 5-6 sentences will do. It will be engraved on stainless placards located around the jogging tracks.
Wee Kiong, err...why do you guys wanna frigthen those poor joggers? I mean if he is already out of breathe, reading all these can lead to heart attacks u know.... :lol:
rlow

Post by rlow »

Wee Kiong, err...why do you guys wanna frigthen those poor joggers? I mean if he is already out of breathe, reading all these can lead to heart attacks u know....
Hi Wee Kiong, as discussed, perhaps something more poetic and comtemplative, so people can understand and appreciate our place in the universe, etc.
Lee
Vendor

Post by Lee »

rlow wrote:
Wee Kiong, err...why do you guys wanna frigthen those poor joggers? I mean if he is already out of breathe, reading all these can lead to heart attacks u know....
Hi Wee Kiong, as discussed, perhaps something more poetic and comtemplative, so people can understand and appreciate our place in the universe, etc.
That's what the site architect wants :shock: - shock tactics, maybe that's will lead to more residents wanting to verify the 'Truth' and visit the Obs more often.

Anyway don't worry, any good & true facts will be considered. Maybe the architect might change his mind. You can put up those spinnets here.
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

I think he is looking for more 'sensational' facts, and a radical departure from the 'Science Center' type of exhibits. Something controversial... something shocking... something speculative... Hollywood-like?
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
Lee
Vendor

Post by Lee »

Tachyon wrote:I think he is looking for more 'sensational' facts, and a radical departure from the 'Science Center' type of exhibits. Something controversial... something shocking... something speculative... Hollywood-like?
Tachyon you are absolutely right.
Sensational & Controversial ...... that's the words.
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

Lee wrote:
Tachyon wrote:I think he is looking for more 'sensational' facts, and a radical departure from the 'Science Center' type of exhibits. Something controversial... something shocking... something speculative... Hollywood-like?
Tachyon you are absolutely right.
Sensational & Controversial ...... that's the words.
Umm..reminds me of the Heineken beer TV advert that shows the robot-bartop on Mars.

Someone actually ask me if the beer would stay inside the mug if the beer is being poured in Mars. Umm...... :roll: