Astro Bargains July '06

Here is the place for vendors to make their product annoucement.
popsoda

Post by popsoda »

Meng Lee wrote:Hi, I just like to write some comments here. Given the nature of the lousy eyepieces and barlow that come with the celestron scope, you can just drop that option.

You may want to consider the Meade or

http://www.telescope.com/control/produc ... t_id=09804

or

http://www.telescope.com/control/produc ... t_id=09798
wow meng lee, u.r.the.dope.man! your recommendations look so much cooler...lol..n i think u would have guessed right off that im a beginner!

right..straight to the point...i need prices. How much for either of the Orions here? I dun mind 2nd-hand.
Meng Lee

Post by Meng Lee »

Erm, I am not a vendor, so I can't quote you the prices. You can email astrobargains directly for the prices and because of the size of the object, the shipping can be high, and so its not surprising that the quoted price is about 2x US price despite the exchange rate.
popsoda

Post by popsoda »

okie dok. will do. i assume astrobargains will reply me here?

n yupz, the shipping cost is really the killer but what to do. suck thumb and accept the reality of world economy. lolx.

astrobargains, could you kindly quote me the prices for the 2 Orions menglee had recommended in his earlier post? Thanks a bunch.
A limited human mind VS a limitless universe
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

popsoda, you may also want to check out or stalk the buy and sell forums where very good deals on used scopes come up from time to time. Or check astrobargain's website for some of the scopes they have in stock.
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
popsoda

Post by popsoda »

hi acc,

yupz i do check out the BnS daily...so far i didnt hit on any that appeals to me. Though im a beginner, i would really like an entry-level scope that does the job well, not just a "make do bcos it's cheap" model.

Anyway thanks for the advice! I will keep my eyes peeled.
popsoda

Post by popsoda »

wow, i've checked out astrobargains site....
watever they have in stock...prices....astronomical...doesn't seem much of a bargain for a low-income worker like me lol...

time to roll out my piggies....
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Their prices are actually quite reasonable if you consider the shipping cost, insurance and GST. :)
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
Meng Lee

Post by Meng Lee »

Yes, if you try to ship it in yourself, say using vpost or USPS, it will end up about the same.

Never think about the almost trashy scopes sold at camera shops, those are toys. What you need is a real working scope.
popsoda

Post by popsoda »

hmm since my budget is tight i guess my next best course of action is to just meet up some of u guys during ur sessions and check things out, while waiting out a few more paychecks down the months before getting my first real serious scope. lolx.

thanks acc, menglee for your valuable advice.
Meng Lee

Post by Meng Lee »

Erm, but beware of certain "fevers". If you look through an apochromatic refractor and like the very contrasty pleasing views and caught "APO fever", or if you look through a 12.5" Dobsonian and saw a wealth of details through it and caught "Aperture fever", please don't blame us ah.