5" Maksutov Cassegrain package (Harlequin Astronomics)

Here is the place for vendors to make their product annoucement.
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

acc wrote:hmm, price seems attractive :) Two questions:

- Are there currently any reviews of this scope on the web?
- Is the EQ4 mount suitable for use in our latitude?

cheers
cc
Reviews :
I have looked through most of the popular and more well known review sites but have not found any review for this relatively new product so far. Will do a bit of searching everytime I'm online and post links to the reviews (under this subject) if I do come across any. Anyway, the scope itself is already here in Singapore, so I guess nothing beats a first hand view / experience of the scope for any interested buyer.

The new EQ4 mount :
If we're talking about just pure visual work, all EQ mounts are suitable for all latitudes, so I assume you are asking about it's suitability for long exposure astrophotography for our latitude -> The new EQ4 mount which I'm intending to include in the package is currently enroute (that's why there isn't a pic of the Mak mounted on it yet), and I will be testing it personally when it arrives to see if it can be set to ~ 1 degree on it's own. I will also see if the Vixen half pier is compatible with it. Personally, I'm not too concerned whether or not the mount can be set to our latitude for long exposure astrophotography, because this is more of a visual package I'm selling here. The mount will do well for visual use. So if after testing, we find that it can be used for a bit of timed exposure astrophotography too, then it's a nice bonus - No extra charge either :lol: .

Regards,
Samuel Ng
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

harlequin2902 wrote:
acc wrote:hmm, price seems attractive :) Two questions:

- Are there currently any reviews of this scope on the web?
- Is the EQ4 mount suitable for use in our latitude?

cheers
cc
Reviews :
I have looked through most of the popular and more well known review sites but have not found any review for this relatively new product so far. Will do a bit of searching everytime I'm online and post links to the reviews (under this subject) if I do come across any. Anyway, the scope itself is already here in Singapore, so I guess nothing beats a first hand view / experience of the scope for any interested buyer.

The new EQ4 mount :
If we're talking about just pure visual work, all EQ mounts are suitable for all latitudes, so I assume you are asking about it's suitability for long exposure astrophotography for our latitude -> The new EQ4 mount which I'm intending to include in the package is currently enroute (that's why there isn't a pic of the Mak mounted on it yet), and I will be testing it personally when it arrives to see if it can be set to ~ 1 degree on it's own. I will also see if the Vixen half pier is compatible with it. Personally, I'm not too concerned whether or not the mount can be set to our latitude for long exposure astrophotography, because this is more of a visual package I'm selling here. The mount will do well for visual use. So if after testing, we find that it can be used for a bit of timed exposure astrophotography too, then it's a nice bonus - No extra charge either :lol: .

Regards,
Sam, care to let me test it? Find one good weather day and let me test it. Best if you get unbias review from me.

I also like to know if it fit the SCT thread.
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

I also like to know if it fit the SCT thread.
Does anyone here have a LAR or SCT diagonal ? If have, can help to measure the diameter of the female thread on it ?

(by the way, which other China/Taiwan produced Maks can accept SCT accessories at the moment ?)
Samuel Ng
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

Added a couple of new pictures in the opening post above, showing the APM 130 Mak on the HA-EQ4 mount.

Additional info for the HA-EQ4 mount :

(1) The mount is a replica of the Vixen GP - but please do be fair in your expectations -> the original Vixen GP alone costs almost as much as the complete package I'm selling here. But anyway, like the GP, the counterweight shaft for this mount is supported on one of the tripod legs ... not hanging in between.

(2) When I decided to pick the HA-EQ4 mount as the packaged mount for our locally exclusive APM 130 Mak package, my intentions were for it to be used mainly for visual applications and for the user's ability to keep the mount even when he/she upgrades to a larger scope in the future. It is one of the most affordable EQ mount in the market that is capable of carrying the same load as the Vixen GP (~ 7kg). So for those who are thinking of using this mount for serious long exposure astrophotography, I am not ashamed to say that I personally do not encourage using it for this level of astrophotography as there are better and more precise mounts (much more expensive too) out there when you're up to that level. But it's useful to note that we have tested and found that it is compatible with the Vixen half-pier.

(3) The manufacturer tells us that this mount is compatible with Vixen MT-1 drives. Is there anyone out there (who has them) willing to lend us 01 x drive for testing and confirmation ?

Yours sincerely,
Last edited by harlequin2902 on Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samuel Ng
blurblock

Post by blurblock »

How much are you charging for the OTA and Mount Separately?
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

How much are you charging for the OTA and Mount Separately?
Hi,

The pricing for OTA and mount seperate are as follows :

APM 130 Mak OTA
+ 10x50mm finder w/bracket
+ mountrail
+ 26mm Plossl
+ 45 degree erect image diagonal

S$900.00 nett, delivered to your door.

HA-EQ4 mount
S$950.00 nett, delivered to your door.
Samuel Ng