IOPTRON PRODUCTS

Here is the place for vendors to make their product annoucement.
staroptics_robin
Vendor

IOPTRON PRODUCTS

Post by staroptics_robin »

[font=Comic Sans MS]DEAR ALL,

I WISH TO CONDUCT A MARKET SURVEY ABOUT THE NEW "IOPTRON" PRODUCTS JOINTLY DEVELOPED BY CHINA & USA. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT ARE YOUR VIEWS OF THE PRODUCTS AND THE OVERALL DEMAND IN THE LOCAL MARKET.

YOU MAY RESPONSE TO ME BY EMAIL ME OR JUST REPLY TO THIS FORUM, I MAY CONSIDER TO BRING IN THIS EXITING PRODUCT TO SINGAPORE IF I'VE POSITIVE RESPONSE.

http://www.ioptron.com/

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT! [smilie=angel.gif]

ROBIN LOW
staropticsscientific.com
[/font]
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

I think this is a good product. Good if you can stock the unit without the legs as some of us may already have the tripod (e.g. surveyor tripod). This (hopefully) will result in a lower cost to the consumer.

Thanks!

Kay Heem
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

I was considering to buy one from US. I think it's good for beginners or for those who are traveling and need something that fits in a luggage.
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
staroptics_robin
Vendor

IOPTRON

Tachyon wrote:I was considering to buy one from US. I think it's good for beginners or for those who are traveling and need something that fits in a luggage.
Currently, I'm marketing the Vixen - Skypod, is a similar product, but the hand controller comes with LCD screen with the star chart displayed, with the celestial objects indicated, moreover, with the new downloader from Vixen, you can update the celestial objects ie: comets path.

And the other advantage is that you can actually centre the object in the screen and press goto, the obect will be centre of the view. However, after I brought in this product, the response is discouraging. [smilie=bleeding.gif]

What I felt is that Vixen Skypod is a more advance product than the Ioptron, and is made in Japan, I need to have some opinion for the product comparison. The skypod can also be bought without the tripod for easy transportation. Need to have more confirmation before I invest into this product and end up using it by myself.....

Robin Low
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

Personally, I feel that there are many beginners here who do not want to spend too much. Hence a low cost solution like the ioptron is good.

I do not think you can depend on the local market to survive. You need to market more aggressively overseas.

Just my 2 cts
staroptics_robin
Vendor

kayheem wrote:Personally, I feel that there are many beginners here who do not want to spend too much. Hence a low cost solution like the ioptron is good.

I do not think you can depend on the local market to survive. You need to market more aggressively overseas.

Just my 2 cts
Hi Kayheem,

Thanks for advise, but I felt Singaporean still have a good spending power over many other countries; is because of a strong SGD against other major currencies. Overseas order do have other problems ie: agency agreement etc. and exporting market faces strong international competition too. [smilie=bad-atmosphere.gif]

Focusing in the local market with more value added items and packages still can attract local buyers, except you have to sell 10 sets against 6 sets in the past to achieve the same sales target. haha... furthermore it takes much longer to achieve the sales target....now than in the past.

Regards,

Robin Low
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Hi Robin!

I cannot speak for others, but my own personal reasons for buying an Ioptron vs. Skypod is:

1. Price - I don't mind buying something to try as long as the cost is not too hefty. The skypod is too expensive to "buy and try"!

2. I have a Sphinx, so a Skypod is redundant. However, an Ioptron is small and inexpensive enough to carry in my travels and also double up as a 'grab and go'.

3. If I were a beginner, my budget would be less than $500. The Skypod is way above my budget.

As for sales volume, I cannot predict how many will buy. But if you could bring in a test set and arrange for a viewing, I'm sure if it is good enough word will spread.

Cheers!
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
staroptics_robin
Vendor

Tachyon wrote:Hi Robin!

I cannot speak for others, but my own personal reasons for buying an Ioptron vs. Skypod is:

1. Price - I don't mind buying something to try as long as the cost is not too hefty. The skypod is too expensive to "buy and try"!

2. I have a Sphinx, so a Skypod is redundant. However, an Ioptron is small and inexpensive enough to carry in my travels and also double up as a 'grab and go'.

3. If I were a beginner, my budget would be less than $500. The Skypod is way above my budget.

As for sales volume, I cannot predict how many will buy. But if you could bring in a test set and arrange for a viewing, I'm sure if it is good enough word will spread.

Cheers!
Hi Andrew,

Your view is very positive and informative, if my cost is not too high, I actually don't mind to bring in a set for test, but if to market below $500.00, my Porta Mount without the goto is already $450.00, is the volumn weight to import which kills the selling price, as a businessman, P & L is still my priority.

Robin Low
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Seriously I nearly got this mount previously because the launch price was ridiculously low but it has increased somewhat and the seem to be pushing for the more expensive gps version these days.
Reviews on their goto has been average at best but that is reasonable for the price.
I mean the goto mount is small , light (made of plastic, so shipping cost lower) and included a tripod as well. The only thing that held me back was that it was rated up to a 6" SCT because it was using all plastics gears and parts. I emailed them on support for an 8" SCT and the tech said it was doable but had to be careful not to overload further with big diagonals and heavy naglers/pentax eyepieces.
But overall a very nice package and it comes in many colours too!
I don't think you will sell many of those in Singapore though not because its not good but because the market is relatively small here.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

1 problem I do have with this mount is this:

GOTOs are good for DSOs, which are much more difficult to find than planets. However, you need large aperture for DSOs which the Ioptron can't handle well.