croy's posts

Have some suggestions to improve the site? Let's discuss it here....Might do some tests here as well
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Forced to clarify here:
Croy leave after posting in my thread changed to--Band Activities on Sun--and after remarks like-- your previous post demonstrates rather elementary understanding of science. please feel free to tell me i'm wrong if you have a degree in science. please kindly name the university too---and his post deleted.His views and my views on Sciences are similar and typical of that of US graduate school.His level of education is high and tolerate no nonsence.We academics dont like personal attacks and finds it totally distasteful.;and prefer to have nothing to do with such.
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Hi
None of Cory's post was deleted by the admin except those where he had an argument with another SingAstro member. Those were deleted as they involved disparaging remarks from both sides that are best settled by Croy and the other aggrieved party.

All other posts by croys relating to superiorstream's thread was deleted by croys himself.

Personal attacks and unfriendly responses are precisely the reason for deleted posts or locked threads.
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
wucheeyiun

Post by wucheeyiun »

Tachyon wrote:A pity! I have met Croy in person twice at his place and he is a very friendly and helpful guy - willing to share his knowledge without any ego at all. I can't imagine him being upset with anyone. Whoever that person is must have really ticked him off.

Ah well, at least I still have his number...
I met him countless time, at his place and also workplace discussing from anything of astronomy, equipment and IT stuffs etc. He is very approachable and without airs. He is just an enthusiastic hobbyist like anyone else and a firm believe in his field of own understanding. We are all like that one way of other sometimes. Understanding is required here.
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Been watching from the sidelines for some time and I find all of this - Dejavu! I know I've been silent due to a reduce in Astro-imaging activity on my end. Mainly due to nothing in the night skies for me to shoot.
If my post sparks off more rife so be it. If it makes a point...great. Whatever the case, I am being generalized here and not pin pointing anyone. I could easily grab facts and shoot tons of post here in Singastro for lack of knowledge on the subject. I can just as easily shoot tons more post here for the total lack of understanding, grammar and courtesy on the Basics of Forum knowledge. That is one thing I find very lacking in almost ALL of local SG forums. It becomes Coffee Talk! And even here in SingAstro...it has become a kopi tiam I hate to add.

Yes..we will have the usual spoilsports, stubborn ones....but thats life! There are more worse people out there that need a spanking...so please Go out and do whats needed for the world and STOP hiding here and wasting all that energy on ONE bad post!! Help the world!!

Forums are what they start out to be. Gathering into a single community where likewise enthusiast and beginners can salvage and enjoy 'Kopi tiam' chat about a hobby the enjoy or may be starting in. Obviously, our Kopi Tiam mentality cannot be compared with the Coffee Shop talk of our western counterparts! This is largely due to the typical Singlish behavior and habits of us! Which I find appaling and degrading. Why can't a normal Singaporean speak proper english? And that gets the better of us and we allow it to overcome us with emotion.

Talks like this SHOULD be done Mano-e-Mano!! MAN to Man as it is after all a discussion! And Gentlemen that we are....should respect that and not joust each other. Unless......there was more to it than meets the eye?? After all...why would anyone go all out to degrade?

Degrade perhaps? Or just not thinking before typing? A VERY common habit here! And in many SG forums!

I find seriously lacking here is the HELP that the newcomers need. Basics can be thought and experiences shared but we have to see it from a SG angle. And that sadly is 'get better stuff for cheap price!" Lets face it...it is a style here in SG! Some practice it some dont.

Any Hobby is expensive and we as those who have already gone through that phase explain and educate the newcomer rather than battering them with 'An 8" is THE BEST scope for SG Skies"......I'm sure when we started out...many here heard that line and went " How to Afford?". Same with the newbies!! I have yet to actually see some worthwhile advice.

As mentioned...Not to flame or vent my frustrations here and I am not aiming or pinpointing anyone. But from an outside view looking in I can only offer views from my end. How this post of mine is perceived by some here....I dunno. How many here will hate me?...I dunno. Frankly I don't bother cos...well maybe I stop to think before I write?

Ladies and Gents here....some have good grammer and write better than others. Some have it but don't know how to write. Some can write and can't explain. So be it. We are all different....YET the same.
When it comes to reading a post....STOP and think. This is becoming like facebook where a small comment is misread and misleads to something else!!

With regards to the squabble that started all this....it was a case of 2 views! I will be frank to add that I was surprised that the original post of the Sun's activity pushed to Coffee talk. Perhaps Mods...when moving post...A PM sent or a reply post tagged to the moved post so that everyone including the thread starter understand why!! This is a common practice with the US forums. This way...Mods show their management skills in working out the forums. Or should we have new mods?? Understand that this is a daunting task...and If someone cannot do it, they should say and step down rather than carry on.

Same goes with members. And those who post and never appear again! Mods....perhaps a grace period be done for lack of posting. In my RC heli forums every new member's post is scrutininzed for a week before allowed to post lilke a normal member.

I could go on and on here....but I will stop for now and sit at the sidelines observing both the skies and this forums. NO I am not quitting! Why should I? Just because I lack knowledge?? Thats the reason why I am here isn't it?? BUT if someone flames or redicules...then that is a consideration due to the Lack of respect as a person!

Please everyone....sit back...STOP POsting nonsense and LOok in the Mirror for a change!! When your done....start typing!!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

timatworksg wrote: With regards to the squabble that started all this....it was a case of 2 views! I will be frank to add that I was surprised that the original post of the Sun's activity pushed to Coffee talk. Perhaps Mods...when moving post...A PM sent or a reply post tagged to the moved post so that everyone including the thread starter understand why!!
Thanks for the suggestion; point taken. Just to explain:

-The original posts had it been purely on factual observations would have been fine. However, the author started linking solar events to earthquakes and floods without sufficient qualification about the speculative nature of his claims.

-When the claims continued, I received feedback about the scientific illiteracy that is being shown in this forum (even if its in coffee-corner). After consideration, I locked the thread due to the increasingly heated debates, the personal attacks and the wild claims about effects of solar activities that have no scientific basis.
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Scientific proof;
H=kT^4
dH/dT=
dH*A(1)=........................
no point;no one will understand standalone those with a open mind--so stop.
I find croy is one who can understand and has a deep understanding of physics--astro aspect,open minded and his working knowledge of astronomical scopes very very good.(both reflectors and refractors)The staff he sold are ALL in supergood conditions and if it contain a mightbe fault--say a minor minor sketch/paint peeloff,he will inform you before hand.Very reliable gentleman and a highly valued member of any community or club.Hopefully my final remark here.Thanks.
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

it looks like many thinks that the mod/admin have been unreasonable or simply has no right to discourage unscientific claims in singastro. so i must come in to say again, this is an astronomy forum, where science - in facts & in methods are important. the "standard practices" observed in other forms might not be applicable/acceptable here because this should be more than just a "hobby" forum.

by accepting unscientific claims and propositions as "fair enough" in a forum like this will reflect very badly on its members and the society that its members are drawn from. if one is to make an assumption on the reasons why croys left, one only has to recall his own words that he's thinking of leaving because of the prevailing "scientific illiteracy". (sorry, there is no more reference to support that, so if you want to assert that croys didn't say that, it's just your words against mine :twisted: )

if you think being called voodoo-science in singlish hurts, perhaps you should try propagating the same bs in bigger, renown astronomy forums (like CN, perhaps?) and see what kind of responses you will get from them. you should not be surprised that the angmohs' tolerance for bs is much much lower than asians, and sinkabolians in general, and they don't pull their punches.

again, feel free to prove me wrong. [smilie=kick.gif]
shirox
Favourite scope: Takahashi FSQ85EDX

Post by shirox »

here we go again, same old sh*t again
http://eltonastronomy.blogspot.com/

Mersing finally installed some water sink!
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

superiorstream wrote:Forced to clarify here:
i'm not saying you should leave. not at all. this is a free world and a free forum after all....

but what you are doing - after saying you are leaving for good, then still hang around, forced or otherwise.... i think there's a term for it... it's called the "undead" [smilie=angel2.gif]

croys' the man!
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

shirox wrote:here we go again, same old sh*t again
perhaps you could share your insight into the debate to enlighten us all.

in astronomy, we say big aperture should be good for for going deep, not just going wide. same for mouth.