croy's posts

Have some suggestions to improve the site? Let's discuss it here....Might do some tests here as well
shirox
Favourite scope: Takahashi FSQ85EDX

Post by shirox »

I have nothing to debate. This topic is about croy's post. Why are you and superiorstream getting off topic here. And back to your science professor qualification institute debate again. King Kong, I have nothing against you. If you and chia has something against each other, take it somewhere else. And one more thing. Dun use big words on me la. Its useless
http://eltonastronomy.blogspot.com/

Mersing finally installed some water sink!
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Cool down guys... Or we might end up starting another thread again on why posts on this thread had been deleted and why the thread had been locked... [smilie=sweating.gif]

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
cataclysm

Post by cataclysm »

Yes chill it guys! This is going nowhere.......
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

shirox wrote:I have nothing to debate. This topic is about croy's post. Why are you and superiorstream getting off topic here. And back to your science professor qualification institute debate again. King Kong, I have nothing against you. If you and chia has something against each other, take it somewhere else. And one more thing. Dun use big words on me la. Its useless
hahaha, did you watch the bs about the movie 2012? Find any similarity with the original topic? We just don't know if any of these voodoo bs will come true. We just can't be too sure, science just can't proof everything today. Everyday man discover new things once man think that it was a voodoo. However, we know the 1968's movie; 2001: A Space Odyssey's tablet pc come true today. Just be open minded is the most important factor of life. hahaha.

Let's go for the prata session to see Zong off.

Sorry for the off topic
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

shirox wrote:I have nothing to debate. This topic is about croy's post. Why are you and superiorstream getting off topic here. And back to your science professor qualification institute debate again. King Kong, I have nothing against you. If you and chia has something against each other, take it somewhere else. And one more thing. Dun use big words on me la. Its useless
i agree. i was going out of topic. my bad. even though i might have an excuse for doing so. it's still my bad.

did i say anything against you, or even superior? i hope not and i don't believe i have. asking for justification for someone's claim, including asking for credential (i.e. qualification, school, guru, experience, etc.) is a standard practice and should not be taken personally. and even though a suggestion to someone to face up to a challenge to one's believe/view/claims/assertion without getting personal may sound belittling but should also be taken constructively. because if someone point out that you are getting personal, there's probably some truth in it.

my apologies if my using big words offends you because if i don't know how to say things in simpler words, the fault is mine.

i don't understand this "taking it some where else" logic. why is it that when someone say something, and then someone else challenge it, the latter become the bad guy? is it not better to allow everyone to debate and understand what is acceptable and what is not, for e.g. on what is the proper way to present a hypothesis as a hypothesis instead of as a fact, hence avoiding the humiliation of being criticised publicly?

i grew up constantly being told off by others, like the old folks, so i don't feel especially humiliated or unacceptable if someone points out i've made a mistake or said something wrong. perhaps it is cultural difference that makes me unable to relate to why others are taking what i say personally.

what's wrong with debates?
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

Clifford60 wrote:hahaha, did you watch the bs about the movie 2012? Find any similarity with the original topic? We just don't know if any of these voodoo bs will come true. We just can't be too sure, science just can't proof everything today. Everyday man discover new things once man think that it was a voodoo. However, we know the 1968's movie; 2001: A Space Odyssey's tablet pc come true today. Just be open minded is the most important factor of life. hahaha.
will you take it personally if someone say your statement just added to the negative perception on "science illiteracy" in this forum, and in sg in general?

i've thick skin, and i'm generally an optimist on the younger generation. so i'm not thinking about leaving this forum just yet... [smilie=super.gif]
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

kingkong wrote:
Clifford60 wrote:hahaha, did you watch the bs about the movie 2012? Find any similarity with the original topic? We just don't know if any of these voodoo bs will come true. We just can't be too sure, science just can't proof everything today. Everyday man discover new things once man think that it was a voodoo. However, we know the 1968's movie; 2001: A Space Odyssey's tablet pc come true today. Just be open minded is the most important factor of life. hahaha.
will you take it personally if someone say your statement just added to the negative perception on "science illiteracy" in this forum, and in sg in general?

i've thick skin, and i'm generally an optimist on the younger generation. so i'm not thinking about leaving this forum just yet... [smilie=super.gif]
Hahaha, you can call what you want, I know my level of astro physics knowledge is smaller than that of a positron, but most importantly I have an open mind to all views. In my field of work, I had come across many things that weren't problems in the past became problems later and vice versa. Things weren't possible became possible. There wasn't nano technology in the past, but it is here today and many things become possible. What we don't know today doesn't mean it will not happen due to our limited knowledge.

Do you know that when you insulted someone, you actually insulted yourself. There are these Chinese phrase “一山还有一山高” “天外有天”, so don't be so narrow and close minded.

Sorry mod for the off topic again. If you think that moving some of the posts are necessary to prevent the corruption of the original topic, please do so.
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

Clifford60 wrote:Hahaha, you can call what you want, I know my level of astro physics knowledge is smaller than that of a positron, but most importantly I have an open mind to all views. In my field of work, I had come across many things that weren't problems in the past became problems later and vice versa. Things weren't possible became possible. There wasn't nano technology in the past, but it is here today and many things become possible. What we don't know today doesn't mean it will not happen due to our limited knowledge.

Do you know that when you insulted someone, you actually insulted yourself. There are these Chinese phrase “一山还有一山高” “天外有天”, so don't be so narrow and close minded.
did u feel insulted because i call u a science illiterate? but why should you unless you are actually an expert or a scientist? should i feel insulted if u call me a chinese illiterate if my chinese standard is only up to primary 6? i think not.

i'm curious how you can be open-minded to "all views" because i can't be "open minded" on subjects that i'm a subject matter expert on. i'm not an expert on astronomy, so i can be open-minded to the most bizarre suggestions, and i'm always intrigued by how people go about proving them.

however, since i'm considered an expert in some of the fields that i'm involved in professionally, i'm not very "open minded" on those at all, because it is most unlikely that someone can come up with a suggestion that is completely alien to me. it is always: been there, done that, and why it'll work or won't work.

of course there are many subjects that i'm not familiar with. then i can keep an open-mind. but an open mind doesn't mean everything goes. an open-mind basically means "show me", and there is not much room for open-mindedness in this. this is where scientific methods, fair assumptions, and logic come into play. whether an argument is sound/strong or not is not simply a matter of opinion, or open-mind or not.

for example: do full moon nights have more crimes and lunacies? personally, i'm not convinced (i don't believe that is true), but i can keep an open mind if someone offers to show supporting proofs & arguments. however, i do not believe i should keep quite if someone come out to teach that as a fact, esp to the younger people, without sound arguments & good evidence to support such claim.

science is not everything that has not been proven wrong.

open-mindedness is an over-glorified virtue. it is crippled if not coupled with critical thinking.
stargazer

Post by stargazer »

Guys,

Every one has their own views and perspectives, be it on science or preference of telescopes.

I guess enough has been said and it would be good to put a stop here.
bharat

Post by bharat »

Guys,

With this senseless debate, are we not leaving a bad impression on a reader who may be just casually browsing the Singastro site? Can we not hold our positions, "agree to disagree" and put an end to this once for all?