The new forum

Have some suggestions to improve the site? Let's discuss it here....Might do some tests here as well
andeelym

The new forum

Post by andeelym »

Thank you Zong for updating the forum. Well, while I like the new look, there are some features missing from the previous one that were very useful.

1) Thread title in the "last post" column
2) Full width layout
3) Quick reply box

Just a feature request thread, not rushing you, take your time. [smilie=admire2.gif]
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: The new forum

Post by Airconvent »

Thanks Andeelym
Please do be patient. We have a part-time designer who is flying off soon.
We will progressively add back some of the old features but in the meantime, please do make do with the basic configuration for now. In the meantime, do use the forum and post your feedback to us.
Cheers
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
stargazer

Post by stargazer »

Guys,

Thanks for the effort put in. Frankly speaking, I still prefer the old site, which I think is more user friendly. Maybe like what Admin said some features still needed to be put in and I got to be patient. Well...at least for me [smilie=cheer.gif]
andeelym

Post by andeelym »

I understand, also, I can't edit the posts I made before the upgrade.

Can I volunteer my service in configuring the forum? I managed several forums before.
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

andeelym wrote:I understand, also, I can't edit the posts I made before the upgrade.

Can I volunteer my service in configuring the forum? I managed several forums before.

Hi andeelym
We have put in place a post delete limit of 5 minutes and edit limit of 15 minutes. The former should allow enough time for one to delete double posts or if one changes his mind about posting, while the latter will help ensure posts are not edited after others respond in order to ensure thread continuity. Users who -really- want to change their posts after the time limit is up can approach the mods or I for help.

Currently our biggest problem is spammers registering accounts in order to spam. The mods and admin are deleting dozens of such accounts daily. In your experience, does vbulletin help to mitigate this problem? This is so far the biggest and only headache that we have that are related to the forum software.

thanks
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
andeelym

Post by andeelym »

acc wrote: Hi andeelym
We have put in place a post delete limit of 5 minutes and edit limit of 15 minutes. The former should allow enough time for one to delete double posts or if one changes his mind about posting, while the latter will help ensure posts are not edited after others respond in order to ensure thread continuity. Users who -really- want to change their posts after the time limit is up can approach the mods or I for help.
Ok, I think I understand the need for that feature. Hee hee
acc wrote: Currently our biggest problem is spammers registering accounts in order to spam. The mods and admin are deleting dozens of such accounts daily. In your experience, does vbulletin help to mitigate this problem? This is so far the biggest and only headache that we have that are related to the forum software.

thanks
Yes, Vbulletin does reduce the number of spammers (but not eliminate them) as you can implement more flexible and more stringent registration checks/questions. Also, it is more powerful as a forum software. I do have a spare but old version (v3) license that I can contribute to SingAstro. And in the event your guys choose to upgrade (to v4), you can save $20 USD.

Let me know if you guys want it.
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Hi andeelym
We are adjusting some of the forum settings and are considering a possible switch to vbulletin in december, but nothing is firmed yet. Will take you up on your offer if we do decide to switch. Thanks for your offer!
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
Kamikazer

Post by Kamikazer »

i miss the "recent topic" corner in the front page...

saved time and effort trying to look for active/new threads...
K.L. Lee
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

Hmm, seems like a lot of people were using the Recent Topics mod on the old forum. Anyway, there's a similar (if not the same) feature already natively implemented into the forum. You can use the "View new posts" link on the top to the left of your PM inbox. This will list all threads that have new posts since you last visited. The old threads don't remove themselves after refresh though, until after some time, but threads that have new posts are definitely shown after every refresh.
Stargazing ... is an excuse to stay up past bedtime that never fails!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Thanks Zong..you settled in? Should change your location now..don't think there is a Tao Payoh at Redmond! haha
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets