Allow unlimited editing in certain posts in the new forum

Have some suggestions to improve the site? Let's discuss it here....Might do some tests here as well
Gary

Allow unlimited editing in certain posts in the new forum

Post by Gary »

Hi Friends. As this new forum does not have a "Recent Posts" modification, it make sense to prevent editing after certain time to preserve the continuity of threads and functionality of "view new posts".

If the current forum software is capable of supporting it, perhaps the admin/mods can consider allowing unlimited editing in the first post of the thread by the thread starter for certain sub forums which may be useful - e.g. events and observations forum.

In the current forum setup, when the event organiser (i.e. thread starter) starts a new event thread, he/she can only update the latest event updates via a new post after the allowed editing duration expires. In a potentially long event thread, for the generally public, they may only bother to read the first or the last post. This may cause them to miss out on some crucial updates.

For example, the event may be cancelled last minute. But the cancellation notification post happens to be the last post on the previous forum page. This may create some unhappiness and misunderstanding for those who missed that crucial last update post.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
alvinsclee

Re: Allow unlimited editing in certain posts in the new foru

Post by alvinsclee »

I second the proposal to allow unlimited edits on the first post.
I could not attach photos/files of sale items after I have my pictures done subsequent to the post. I also have not been able to change my post to append the word "SOLD" after my sales have been completed... viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10297
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Re: Allow unlimited editing in certain posts in the new foru

Post by acc »

Ok there is no edit time limit now.
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!