Lines too long - how to fix ?

Have some suggestions to improve the site? Let's discuss it here....Might do some tests here as well
kohjb

Post by kohjb »

Hmmm....anyone using IE 6.0 that DOESN'T have this problem ?
Celestron 9.25SGT, Meade ETX125, Orion ED80
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I also using IE 6.0. I think this problem will occur if a non-wrap-able element is in one of the post, such as a wide image.

Most of the poster will just type the post without using carriage-return... unless it is a new paragraph. As a result, when a non-wrap-able element appear in one of the post, all the messages in that post that without the carriage-return will continue in a line that match the width of the non-wrap-able element. Please note that the menu bar on top of the SingAstro forum is also a non-wrap-able elements.

So I think your problem cannot be solve. Try using a higher resolution and a smaller fonts. I don't have this problem most of the time, unless one of the post got a wide image. My setting is 1024x768 and small fonts.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
kohjb

Post by kohjb »

Thanks Weixing, I think that answers it for me. I use 1280x1024, and because of the hi-res, I tend to use larger fonts. So yeah, I have to use the small fonts in order to fit the text on my screen. Anyway, it's ok. I've learnt to live with it. If any admin can reprogram(?) the menu bar, that would be great !!
Q
Administrator

Post by Q »

!!!!
1280x1024 and you still cannot get the words to wrap? wow, your fonts must be very BIG.
nF
Administrator

Post by nF »

So which of the options do you all think is the redundant one? Will removed only if most of the people say it is.
.___.
{O,o} O'RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
kohjb

Post by kohjb »

Is it possible to keep all the options, but to let the menu row wrap ? If not, the options I use the least are Log out, Bookmarks and Album

Thanks for asking !
Ekezial

Post by Ekezial »

I'm using 1280x1024 and i dont have any problems with the site
my IE version is 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158

my text size is medium
encoding is autoselect and western european(ISO)

hmm i also tried moving the webpage from 1280x1024 on one monitor and 1024x768 on my other monitor and it works fine
i'm using 2 Monitors for my desktop :p
kohjb

Post by kohjb »

Have you tried making the window skinny and see if it wraps correctly ?
Q
Administrator

Post by Q »

I don't think we need to go until so extreme a condition, what we are looking now it that under normal condition the word wraps nicely, because in these forums there are so many people using it, and there are so many variations of desktop, font size, browser, screen resolution, graphic adapters, etc, etc...
It is impossible for us to make it so that everyone can wrap properly under all conditions. Please try to bear with it because only a minority is experiencing this problem.
Ekezial

Post by Ekezial »

it wraps properly till u reach the top most menu

Portal • Recent Topics • Album • Search • Preferences • Bookmarks • New Posts (11) • Profile • You have no new messages • Log out [ Ekezial ]

then the scrollbar comes out
Shannon