Logo for Singastro / More colourful index page

Have some suggestions to improve the site? Let's discuss it here....Might do some tests here as well
starfinder

Logo for Singastro / More colourful index page

Post by starfinder »

I was wondering if the administrators / moderators could make the index page of www.singastro.org a bit more colourful. Right now, it looks quite functional and does not have much "spirit".

Perhaps we could come up with a design for a logo, add background photos, etc. Maybe we could have a photo of the week or month on the main index page.

Anyone got logo designs, or other ideas? A logo would be something to visually identify with singastro.

For example, here are two websites of other societies:
http://www.assa.org.au/
http://www.asv.org.au/
ovc17m

Post by ovc17m »

Haha... I was just thinking about whether Singastro got any personal logo or not this morning too!

Telepathy??

Any artists out there??
~Clear skies don't occur every night, so date your BIG LENS out when the chance comes~
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Hi gavin
personally I think the site is not too bad. it uses standard frames.
a point to note that it does take alot of effort for yong quan and weicong to make changes to the site, so we are thankful for the periodic maintenance and update of the site by yong quan.
also, we are an informal group. the sites you mentioned are registered societies, so it would have been more appropriate to compare between TASOS and them...since TASOS would have money from the membership fees to hire a professional web designer.

however, there are alot of web savvy poly students here and maybe they can volunteer with some proposals ? the sys admin can then evaluate if they are suitable...
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

hi richard,

oh yes, i agree the site itself is very good and well run. I'm referring to the appearance of the main page and suggesting that perhaps it could be "beautified" as it is rather plain right now. I referred to the two other sites for ideas rather than comparisons.
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Thanks Gavin, but I feel the forums looks fine the way it is and I am not sure what a more flashy look can bring us.

thanks
cc
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

hello cc,

Yes, the forum pages (like this one) look fine and work very well. I'm referring specifically to the main index page, which presumably those who first surf to the website, from say Google or by typing in the URL, go to. It's a suggestion on aesthetics, rather than what it can bring us in practical terms. Thanks, and hope to see you in S'pore soon, maybe Christmas or CNY?

I hope some web savvy designers take up on Airconvent's call for proposals for evaluation...
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

I think I agree with starfinder. The first page looks very loaded with information, which is very good. But i see very few pictures, and I think people are more inclined to seeing pictures than rows after rows of words. Perhaps the "Picture of the Week" idea is nice, and all astrophotographers here can contribute. But from the view of the webmasters, it might take too much hassle to update the frontpage every week, so it might not really be feasible.. However if the webmasters do not mind, I know some basic web design and I can help change the pictures and have it as a "Picture of the Month" instead. :)
Aryanto

from one it guy

Post by Aryanto »

Hi ya.
I am one of those IT guy but more for backend and less for frontend in my profession. :P

Here is my 2 cents:
Things like forum upgrading can be shrinked down to a log link. I like to see it, but most users dont really want "a glass cover" for their "car engine". When that space is freed up, it can be occupied with recent picture. Not necessarily with astrophoto but can be also activity photo. This should be moderated. You don't want just anybody post a photo there.

This group is up for sometime I guess. Anybody care to put up google ad? Earn a bit of money? :D

"Board Navi" on the left, "Quick search" below it, and "Top navi" can be combined and just on top.

"Welcome" and "who's online" moved to left replacing "Board Navi" and "quick search", "Calendar" moved up to replace "Welcome".

All these has to be done on paper first before we go in and "do the code". Let me know if you guys need help with coding. I am no master but I know software procedure to make it easier for further improvement later than just typical unsanitary code-hack a lot of website has. :roll:
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Thanks guys for the offer. Will keep your offers in mind when the website is up for revamp.

Gavin, I will be back in Mar/Apr next yr. See u then!

cheers
cc
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
Q
Administrator

Logo

Post by Q »

ovc17m wrote:Haha... I was just thinking about whether Singastro got any personal logo or not this morning too!

Telepathy??

Any artists out there??
The logo you see on the top left hand corner is the singastro logo. It's in the shape of S inside an A. Something like the @ used in email address.
SA of course represents SingAstro and the overall shape which makes it looks like an @ represents SingAstro's online presence, since SingAstro is founded online and we don't actually have a physical "office" or something of some sort.

I designed the logo and I thought it fits well, also this logo have a urban/uber/modern fresh look. I want to stray away from the convention of using astro-objects, like planets, metors, DSO, etc etc when designing a logo since most astronomy societies do that, I was hoping it would make us look abit more unique.

zong: Agreed with your suggestion. Will discuss with YQ about it and 'beautify' it after exams.

Cheers!
Welcome to the Q Continuum.