Deleted posts

Have some suggestions to improve the site? Let's discuss it here....Might do some tests here as well
jermng

Deleted posts

Post by jermng »

I've realised the past few months and more frequently the past 2 weeks that certain posts have been deleted without any notice. Is there something wrong with the server/database?
Some of these are even 3-4 posts in a row from certain threads.

Would be great if the moderators/admin can clarify if it's something wrong with the servers or some hacker attack again? :)
Jeremy Ng
C8, CR-150HD, TMB 80 f/6
Orion SVP Intelliscope, AstroSlew I
Minolta Activa 12x50WA
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I've realised the past few months and more frequently the past 2 weeks that certain posts have been deleted without any notice. Is there something wrong with the server/database?
Some of these are even 3-4 posts in a row from certain threads.
Usually, the admin and mod will only delete those spam/religious/political related posts/threads or those posts/threads that we think not suitable for public. Those posts or threads that we think were in the wrong sub-forum will be move to the correct sub-forum. Also, it's possible that the poster delete the posts themself.

By the way, any threads that you know was affected??

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
jermng

Post by jermng »

Hmm .. there've been a few. Off the top of my head -

When rlow was selling his Telrad, there was a post by arief that said he'll take it and it disappeared

When rlow was selling his 15" mirror, I posted something about there having been a 16" project in the past, that one also disappeared a few hours later.

the most recent one was this afternoon when arief and I were talking about Yang Beng's C5 sale and guessing what he might buy next. at least 3-4 posts were deleted from our mini "conversation".

There has also been once when I got an email when saying I got PM, but when I check, there's no PM and one of my PM was deleted from the bottom of my inbox. :)

:) I'm suspectiing something went wrong and the database needed to be restored during these times? :)
Jeremy Ng
C8, CR-150HD, TMB 80 f/6
Orion SVP Intelliscope, AstroSlew I
Minolta Activa 12x50WA
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

these posts you mentioned seemed harmless and would not have been deleted.
btw, I also encountered similar problems previouslyalthough not so common.
In one case a post disappeared only to reappear a few hours later . maybe its because of some bug in the forum software or that the system had auto restored from a backup after a hacker attack?
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!