Singastro Wiki Ver 2

Have some suggestions to improve the site? Let's discuss it here....Might do some tests here as well
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

Oh yea, btw if we're still using the same webhost that we did a few years back, they have Fantastico on the CPanel. Using Fantastico to upgrade any software is a matter of clicking a link in that system. I believe phpBB was installed this way, so upgrading it should be easy. Fantastico also offers wiki engines there.

However, remember that all one-click upgrades can actually fail, so it's good to do a backup of the database and files just before the upgrade (esp if we haven't done one for very long - probably the forum should do a manual backup before upgrade).
Stargazing ... is an excuse to stay up past bedtime that never fails!
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Hi Zongyao,

We can give you access to the backend to do a database backup and install Wordpress. Are you willing? Just tell us when.

I experimented with the fantastico wiki engines a long time ago but don't remember being impressed. If you think wordpress is better we should go with that instead. Members will be able to log in and do edits? How do we port the current wiki pages to Wordpress?
kensou

Post by kensou »

Using wordpress as a CMS is very good!

http://www.graphicdesignblog.co.uk/word ... nt-system/
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

Chris: Please give me the access to the backend. You can pm or email it to me, at evozong [at] gmail. I can do the installation. I won't touch the current root directories, I'll just create a clone in a subdirectory and work from there so this forum can continue. When I'm done, I will then move us all to the new WP/forums.

The first thing I would like to do is move our forums to the latest version. This is phpBB2, but the latest one is 3.0.8 (that's how long we haven't upgraded!).

I will need someone to help with making a wordpress theme that copies the look and feel of the forum. Preferably someone with php/wp experience, but if not php only is fine - wp is not very hard to learn. I'm just not very art-inclined to do it.
Stargazing ... is an excuse to stay up past bedtime that never fails!
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Thanks very much Zongyao! One of the moderators will help make a backup and get in touch with you (tks!)

Is there anyone who can help with the wordpress theme? I can't remember who designed the forum but we could get in touch with him...

!
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

Am familar with PHP but not WP. Incidentally am currently migrating my personal domain site (www.celestialportraits.com) to new servers and upgrading the website. Think really need to upgrade to phpBB or even better vBulletin. We are trailing behind all the other astro forums (our neighbours included)....
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits
kensou

Post by kensou »

I can help in whatever way I can.. although I not very pro.. in any.. haha I also played around wif vBulletin for a year or so..
andeelym

Post by andeelym »

Alamak, completely missed the post to me... so sorry about that.

Since the direction is to move to WP, I am ok with it.

I have a personal blog on WP, and a couple others I helped mantained. Also very familiar with vBulletin cos I have 2 sites running it. Though on an old license and haven't renew. Can use but its older version. If anyone wanna use it, I am willing to transfer the license to him/her, not for free of cos, but maybe for a nominal fee.

Well, we can maybe look into Joomla as a CMS. And joomla can integrate well with vbulletin and phpBB, there are synchronisers that sync the user accounts and passwords so that you can effectively login to any one system and it'll be persistent so you remain logged in to the other as well.
kensou

Post by kensou »

I dun mind giving my 3.x vB license if you guys want.. if wanna upgrade to 4.x vB might as well get a new license.. so the latest vB version I can download is 3.8.2.. see if you guys want can send me a PM :)
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Thanks all for the offers. Will get in touch shortly.

cheers
Chee Chien
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!