Observation Log

Have some suggestions to improve the site? Let's discuss it here....Might do some tests here as well
fizzy123

Observation Log

Post by fizzy123 »

I was thinking why not dedicate a corner for people to post their observations. Tis will help other members which might want to observe a particular object have a better idea or preview of wat he or she might see. Also it can help members to do some reference n compare
it with their own. Also people can say when their next observation is n it is held. :wink: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Observation Log

Post by Airconvent »

fizzy123 wrote:I was thinking why not dedicate a corner for people to post their observations. Tis will help other members which might want to observe a particular object have a better idea or preview of wat he or she might see. Also it can help members to do some reference n compare
it with their own. Also people can say when their next observation is n it is held. :wink: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Hi fizzy123,
That is the purpose of the observation forum. Some of us like Sam and I used to post complete reports with full details in the old singastro@yahoogroups but after a while, the objects are the same and it was noted not many people are interested in them. perhaps if there is renewed interest (as can be seen from an increase in reports in the observation forums), then we may consider creating a separate forum for it. Else it is better to keep the number of topics to a more manageable number, so as not to end up with only a few post spread over manyl forums.

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

Sam and I used to post complete reports with full details in the old singastro@yahoogroups but after a while, the objects are the same and it was noted not many people are interested in them.
Yup, the above is quite true. But maybe we could do it in another way, something like how the equipment database works. i.e the person can log in all the objects he/she has observed with his/her own scope/s in his/her home country in a list form, and newly observed objects can be entered into the list as and when they are 'discovered' by the person with his own intrument.

I have been keeping my own records on paper - pretty messy :mrgreen:

Hm...
Samuel Ng
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

harlequin2902 wrote:
Sam and I used to post complete reports with full details in the old singastro@yahoogroups but after a while, the objects are the same and it was noted not many people are interested in them.
Yup, the above is quite true. But maybe we could do it in another way, something like how the equipment database works. i.e the person can log in all the objects he/she has observed with his/her own scope/s in his/her home country in a list form, and newly observed objects can be entered into the list as and when they are 'discovered' by the person with his own intrument.

I have been keeping my own records on paper - pretty messy :mrgreen:

Hm...
ha ha sam....you have an ipaq to log everything, remember?
anyway, maybe we can do it like the equipment database...i.e. everyone creates one thread with a list of objects he/she has seen and continually edits this thread to update it as and when new objects are added...
won't serve much purpose except to log all our members' accomplishments...

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
anyway, maybe we can do it like the equipment database...i.e. everyone creates one thread with a list of objects he/she has seen and continually edits this thread to update it as and when new objects are added...
Hmm... I think this is a good idea and with such list, we can reference the list to find out whether certain object can be observe in Singapore and what is the minimum aperture to observe it. Very useful for observer that always observe in Singapore... like me.. Ha Ha :P :P

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
fizzy123

Post by fizzy123 »

Maybe can categorize as Messier, New General Catalogue, Caldwell numbers, or we can categorize as planets, nebula, galaxy, cluster. :roll: :wink: 8)
nF
Administrator

Post by nF »

Well, as Richard says, I don't think making an observation log here online serve a purpose. It only serves something like a medal to "show off" to people that you have seen something like that. So this will not be taken under my consideration, but you can post what you have seen on your observation in the observations and events thread.
.___.
{O,o} O'RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-