Skyprodigy 130

Bought a new toy? How about writing a review for it? Post it here!
MystiQ

Re: Skyprodigy 130

Postby MystiQ » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:57 am

Wow Gary! The image is so sharp & crisp! I am bound to think that Android phones do a lot better than Iphones when it comes to such imaging. Thanks for the picture. :)

acc
Administrator

Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Postby acc » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:52 pm

Looks like a great scope!
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!

Gary

Postby Gary » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:55 pm

During last night's sidewalk at Bishan Park, SkyProdigy 130 was not able to auto align itself. Based on memory, the sky clarity was about the same (if not very slightly better) than the first time when it was there.

Need more tests to check the auto-align feature under average sky conditions in Singapore. Or if there is a way to improve or speed up the auto alignment process - e.g. manually move/point it to a clearer patch in the sky, power off and power on again. Perhaps a brighter Moon just drowned out enough stars to hinder auto alignment.

Didn't have time to really test other alignment options due to the sidewalk nature where we are constantly "interrupted" by the curious public (not that I mind cause it's suppose to be a sidewalk anyway). Perhaps more intensive testing during some upcoming overnight sessions when there is much less crowd or privately by the owner herself.

The play in the focuser is more obvious if the visual train is extended (e.g. via barlow), shifting the image in the view while focusing. Perhaps exaggerated in last night's case because the telescope was not auto-aligned properly and thus not tracking properly.

The default red dot finder has been replaced by a right angle finder. Very useful upgrade. Less neck pain in finding objects through it. [smilie=good-job.gif]
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.

MystiQ

Postby MystiQ » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:57 pm

Gary wrote:During last night's sidewalk at Bishan Park, SkyProdigy 130 was not able to auto align itself. Based on memory, the sky clarity was about the same (if not very slightly better) than the first time when it was there.

Need more tests to check the auto-align feature under average sky conditions in Singapore. Or if there is a way to improve or speed up the auto alignment process - e.g. manually move/point it to a clearer patch in the sky, power off and power on again. Perhaps a brighter Moon just drowned out enough stars to hinder auto alignment.

Didn't have time to really test other alignment options due to the sidewalk nature where we are constantly "interrupted" by the curious public (not that I mind cause it's suppose to be a sidewalk anyway). Perhaps more intensive testing during some upcoming overnight sessions when there is much less crowd or privately by the owner herself.

The play in the focuser is more obvious if the visual train is extended (e.g. via barlow), shifting the image in the view while focusing. Perhaps exaggerated in last night's case because the telescope was not auto-aligned properly and thus not tracking properly.

The default red dot finder has been replaced by a right angle finder. Very useful upgrade. Less neck pain in finding objects through it. [smilie=good-job.gif]

Just to clarify and add on, based on last night's session at Bishan Park - another new lesson I learnt about the Skyprodigy - is the inability to do auto alignment in a bright moonlight sky. The Starsense was unable to capture the "faint" stars against the bright moonlight.

Throughout, the Skyprodigy was not aligned at all and although there was a proper manual way of using the moon to align (which would take awhile to do so), I skipped that part entirely and simply pointed the scope to the moon and keyed for the scope to do a lunar tracking, hoping that the short cut might work - unfortunately my lazy method did not work, which is lesson no.2 for the night - in order to maximize its tracking function, I need to follow proper procedure steps. [smilie=embarrassed3.gif]

MystiQ

Postby MystiQ » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:04 pm

Planet Venus taken from my room window in the evening just now, imaged from my Iphone through Skyprodigy with a Tele Vue nagler
3-6mm eyepiece with moon filter.

Planet Venus in her gibbous state

With red moon filter

Gary

Postby Gary » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:48 pm

Good job! A few more planets to complete the set. :)

Perhaps "killing" 2 planets with one shot tomorrow morning shortly before sunrise? :)

-- John Dobson.

MystiQ

Postby MystiQ » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:52 am

Beautiful Planet Jupiter & her 3 moons taken this morning, 6.36am, from my hall window. Thru Skyprodigy and Tele Vue nagler
3-6mm eyepiece, "orange bands" were very sharp and clear on the planet however details do not appear on Iphone image below. Just wish I had a camera embedded in my eye instead :)

Davegn

Favourite scope: 94" Ritchey Chrétien reflector telescope

Postby Davegn » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:15 am

Don't we all wish we have CCD embedded in our eyes. If only the iPhone could control some exposure I think some of the detail might pop out.
Dave Ng
Bishan Park SideWalk Astronomy
http://www.facebook.com/SingaporeSidewalkAstronomy

Gary

Postby Gary » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:48 pm

Nice pic and sighting of Jupiter! Time to hunt for its Great Red Spot and shadow transits!

-- John Dobson.

Previous

Return to Reviews