Sky-Watcher 120mm F8.3 Achromatic Refractor OTA

Bought a new toy? How about writing a review for it? Post it here!
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

I order a pair of extra tube ring to mount one of it near the objective to mount the Rigel QickFinder and one near the focuser end to put weight or mount my battery pack to counter the front heavy problem. I also try mounting the Vixen Tube-Ring Accessory Plate lower using the extra tube-ring to see whether the front heavy problem can be solve??? No it doesn't, so the plate will go back to it normal position and will try my original plans.

The focuser is quite smooth out of the box... only feel a bit of sticky feeling, but only little bit of transparent grease can be seen... I wonder why all those oversea review said that it "feels like it was lubricated with glue"??? :? :? May be they get used to the feel of crayford focuser??? :? Anyway, I like the feel of the focuser. :)
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
weixing
Super Moderator
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Err... perhaps the loose objective cap is meant to be used on the dew shield instead?
The dewshield got it own cap. The wrapper actually secure the cover in place. Anyway, the dewshield is very tight fit, so I don't think I'll take the dewshield down often, so the objective cap will not be used for that purpose.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

OK... Everything pack into the long bag I buy from Ruby Photo at Peninsula shopping centre... recommend by ariefm. The bag don't have padding, so I buy those eva mat to act as a padding. Also, the bag comes with "safety belt" ha ha ha :lol: :lol:
Yang Weixing
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Two more photo: The first one show the 2nd extra tube ring I brought that I intend to mount my battery pack or other weights to counter the front heavy issue. The second is the whole setup with GP mount and the refractor... if I can't solve the front heavy issue, I may need to (a) used a half pier, (b) extend the tripod legs or (c) get another mat to observe in sleep position when observing near the zenith... no a bad idea actually... ha ha ha :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yang Weixing
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

OK. I check the collimation with the collimating eyepiece... I'm not quite sure to look for what, but it seem that the collimation is quite accurately... will need to confirm during first light... hmm... when??? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Anyway, I took two images through the scope using prime focus. One without the William Optics VR-1 and one with the VR-1 filter... I didn't refocus when changing the filter. Can see a bit of bluish and a little blur in the image without the VR-1 filter. The details is shaper when use the VR-1 filter, but look a bit yellowish.
Yang Weixing
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

why u need the extra dewshield? :-)
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Hi,
why u need the extra dewshield?
Err... this is a refractor you know... Anyway, I still have the dewshield that I used on my previous 127MCT, so just use it lor...

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

You should re-focus after adding/removing a filter as the filter will change the point of focus slightly for converging light rays.

Some people have tried wrapping ankle weights around the focuser area to improve balance.

Your setup looks impressive indeed :-)

With the other scopes that just arrived for the other Singastroians, I think we will be having cloudy nites for the next couple of weeks!

Kay Heem
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Hi,
You should re-focus after adding/removing a filter as the filter will change the point of focus slightly for converging light rays.
I focus it without the filter. Anyway, quite difficult to focus via the DSLR viewfinder screen... I wonder why now the DSLR don't come with manual focus assist feature.
Some people have tried wrapping ankle weights around the focuser area to improve balance.
That's a good idea... can also do some exercise when not observing... err... that's mean I've to carry extra weight :( :( May be try the battery pack option first... hee hee
With the other scopes that just arrived for the other Singastroians, I think we will be having cloudy nites for the next couple of weeks!
You mean the three Mewlon Musketeers???m =P =P =P

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

You mean the three Mewlon Musketeers???
you mean FOUR ?