Sky-Watcher 120mm F8.3 Achromatic Refractor OTA

Bought a new toy? How about writing a review for it? Post it here!
wucheeyiun

Post by wucheeyiun »

Yes, but Arthos, Porthos and Aramis will have a great Adventure with the Nebulous.... :)
Bergkamp_
Favourite scope: Telescope that i can bring out

Post by Bergkamp_ »

The OTA is BIG =P
Wee Ern aRmeD wiF Telescope reAdY tO taKe ovEr thE skY .. wIF jUst mY naKed eYEs .
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Update 25 Nov 2005:
Elton and Clement call me to bring my scope out for a quick view. I setup the scope on Clement's Camera Tripod with AstroSlew mount head on the multi-storey car park near my block.

The sky was not good and can only see Mars occasionally and I found the Mars wasn't that sharp compare to the first time I saw it with the scope... I suspect the collimation was slightly out when I clean the objective lens and learn how to collimate using the collimation eyepiece... =P =P =P Will collimate it again during the next observation session when I bring out my GP mount.

Anyway, the sky was basically hopeless, so we decided to go to changi village for our supper. After our supper, the sky was partly clear, so we decided to go to one of the barbecue area in changi for another quick view.

Using the GSO 2" SuperView 42mm eyepiece (24x - 2.7 deg FoV), the Pleiades Open Cluster (M45) was nicely fit in the field of view :) The edge performance wasn't good as the stars start to distorted at the edge... I suspect may be my scope (f8.3) is still too "fast" for this low cost eyepiece to perform well (the reviewer of this eyepiece was using a f9.3 refractor) or due to the scope was out of collimation??

Anyway, the view of M45 was very nice. After this, we turn to The Great Orion Nebula (M42 & M43)... WOW!!! What a view!!! The nebulosity and the wings was clearly visible and very well define with the Trapezium Cluster nicely seen in the nebulosity. Another surprise was that we clearly saw the brightest part of The Running Man Nebula (NGC 1977) in the same field of view with the Orion Nebula using direct vision!!! :D :D

Also, saturn was also very nice... we didn't had a high magnification clear view of it as it start to play hide and seek with us in the cloud, but the low magnification view was very very cute... ha ha ha =P =P =P

We end our "quick" observation session at 2:30am as the cloud start to gather again and the sky start to clear up as usual after we pack up... :( Just wonder when a full clear night will come.....

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen: