Review of Mak 150

Bought a new toy? How about writing a review for it? Post it here!
Meng Lee

Review of Mak 150

Post by Meng Lee »

Hi all,

No time to do proper testing of Mak 150, but here are the results:

Straight out of air-con room, and when condensation just cleared, Jupiter GRS is easily focused with 10mm Radian. Note that the Mak has not reached thermal equilibrium. The star test shows thermal currents.

Overall, very high contrast OTA. at 180x, there is very little sign of image breakdown.

I have not seen through a C6 before, so I cannot compare, therefore take my comments with a pinch of salt.

Thanks.
Attachments
DSC00613.JPG
DSC00613.JPG (43.45 KiB) Viewed 16329 times
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Hope to see a more detail review on this scope when you had more time.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Meng Lee

Post by Meng Lee »

Oh, interested in the scope?

I will try to test it throughly as this is the scope that I hope to use it as a travelling visual scope. If it turns out to be ideal, I will equip the scope fully with solar filter, dew heater,.....

Note that I used the scopestuff adapter to turn the visual back into 2". Image shift is obvious at 180x but it is not that much to make critical focusing difficult. It is about as heavy as a C8, so porta mount is not able to handle it. Next time I will use EQ-6. The focuser is buttery smooth, which is useful for critical focusing. The scope smells of paint when it arrives, so make sure air it to let the smell disperse.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Oh, interested in the scope?
No la... just that others might be interested. :D

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

Where did you buy it from? someone might be interested in the 180 version.
Meng Lee

Post by Meng Lee »

Oh, I got it from Robin (McGill). Yes, the 180 is a super tempting instrument. A big jump from 150 (in terms of contrast and WEIGHT and PRICE). Considering portability issues, I decided on the 150.

GPD could barely take the weight of Mak 180, HEQ-5 is probably the minimum to take Mak 180. Hehehe
Meng Lee

Post by Meng Lee »

probably the best way to overcome image shift in any moving primary scope.
Attachments
DSC00617.jpg
DSC00617.jpg (32.49 KiB) Viewed 16258 times
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

Meng Lee wrote:Oh, I got it from Robin (McGill). Yes, the 180 is a super tempting instrument. A big jump from 150 (in terms of contrast and WEIGHT and PRICE). Considering portability issues, I decided on the 150.

GPD could barely take the weight of Mak 180, HEQ-5 is probably the minimum to take Mak 180. Hehehe
Robin still in business?? I sms him on one of the items and he never even reply.

Thought they close already.
Meng Lee

Post by Meng Lee »

probably he misplaced your sms. What item do you want? I can ask him for you.
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

Meng Lee wrote:probably he misplaced your sms. What item do you want? I can ask him for you.
Now I don't need it already. Actually wanted to ask him about the Vixen 5" reflector that you have. Wanted to get that as a grab and go, but since he never reply, I bought other things already..