More on Lasers

This is where you can read up the answers to some FAQs on astronomy and star-gazing in Singapore. Members' contributions are welcomed.
carlogambino

Post by carlogambino »

Hi, I think its perfectly ok to use green laser pointer so long as we are responsible. Follow S & T guide on using it, like make sure you turn it off as soon as you hear/see any planes in the vicinity, do not point below 20 degrees altitude, do not point at anyone, etc. Alot of the things are dangerous, you just have to handle it with care. I don't think anything is more useful than green laser pointers for teaching constellations, and it is also very useful if you are teaching a person how to find a dso.

Anyway, <5mw (hopefully 4.99mw) lasers are legally allowed in the US and the modified ones are bright enough to be seen in singapore skies. I don't think it will attract any attention as long as precautions are strictly followed.
oxygn

Post by oxygn »

hi guys

green laser's should be no prob...was at tasos observatory session today... n one of the guys use the green laser. so i think its no issue. the best thing is for the owner to take responsibility for it

Colin