More on Lasers

This is where you can read up the answers to some FAQs on astronomy and star-gazing in Singapore. Members' contributions are welcomed.
kochu
Favourite scope: Sharpstar-107PH Triplet.

More on Lasers

Post by kochu »

Hi ,

Latest article of S&T home page on Laser issue

Kochu/10-1-05

http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/article_1429_1.asp
VinSnr
Administrator

Re: More on Lasers

Post by VinSnr »

kochu wrote:Hi ,

Latest article of S&T home page on Laser issue

Kochu/10-1-05

http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/article_1429_1.asp
IMO, these green lasers should never be allowed to be used as finders. Someone will surely forget to off it when the laser finder is not in use.

I am not sure if we should even use this in Singapore. Our island is so small, anyone shining this thing from Woodlands will surely be seen by some pilots flying into Changi. And considering the amount of flights that Changi handle every day, surely some pilots is going to see it if we shine this up.

Wouldn't be nice if those Special Operations Police knock onto our house one day.
addy

Post by addy »

[quote="VinSnr]
IMO, these green lasers should never be allowed to be used as finders.
[/quote]

You are cruel Vincent.. the amateur astronomers around the world will hate you for saying that..

It is indeed a nice educational tool, just need some precaution and safety information to use if safely..

Singapore astronomers look forward to seniors like you to teach us and keep us aware of hazards of using our equipment carelessly..

BTW how many ppl in Singapore use Green lasers.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Anyway, a TelRad or similar reflex sight finder can do the same job. Althought limited to one person at a time, but I think it is good enough... see the object through the scope and then look through the reflex sight finder to see where is the object in the sky!!
:k-happy: :k-happy:

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

weixing wrote:Hi,
Anyway, a TelRad or similar reflex sight finder can do the same job.

Have a nice day.
Nah...not quite the same job. Addy has a point. You can use a green laser to draw out what constitutes the constellation, which a Telrad can't e.g. show the outline of Orion, the diff between the Crux and the false cross etc.

Actually I have a <5mW green laser. No opportunity to bring it to Weixing's sessions to try it out.

Kay Heem
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Nah...not quite the same job. Addy has a point. You can use a green laser to draw out what constitutes the constellation, which a Telrad can't e.g. show the outline of Orion, the diff between the Crux and the false cross etc.
Agree... it easy to show where is the constellation... but can the beam of the <5mW laser pointer seen under singapore sky??? I heard the the <5mW one may need some fog in order to be seen.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

weixing wrote:Hi,
Agree... it easy to show where is the constellation... but can the beam of the <5mW laser pointer seen under singapore sky??? I heard the the <5mW one may need some fog in order to be seen.

Have a nice day.
Well, it can be seen under Singapore skies all right. My kids who were beside me were able to see the beam. Singapore has enough air pollution to see it. If you need fog to see it, then you may not even see the stars because of the fog!

You are welcome to borrow the laser to try it out. I may not have the chance to join your sessions in the near future as term has re-started and my son has some training on Saturday nights till late.

Kay Heem
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

Actually I wanted to get one for a long time already. For pointing constellations, I am sure they are a wonderful tool. But I don't agree to use them as finders. Some guys will surely forget to off it when not in use and the finder will point onto some people when the scope is moved close to horizontal.

And now with all these 'laser pointing at aircraft" thing going on...not sure if it's safe for us to use. You know how efficient our police la....
fizzy123

Post by fizzy123 »

I agree with the article. :idea: The bright beam of light can actually 'blind' the pilot or even confuse him. :cry:
No doubt the lasers are invaluable to the astro community to show the constellations, but we must also weight the negative consequences. Singapore, a high population density country, is keen in security. U might attract the police or some ppl might thing u harbour evil intentions, thus u might end up spending the night at the np post. :bangwall:
Secondly, if a plane crashed into a HDB as a result of the laser, the aftermath and damage done to Singapore is going to be far greater than the Tsunami. :violent: Besides, astro is not veri popular in Singapore, thus how r u going to explain yourself, if u are caught by the cops. :k-worried:
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

fizzy123 wrote:I agree with the article. :idea: The bright beam of light can actually 'blind' the pilot or even confuse him. :cry:
No doubt the lasers are invaluable to the astro community to show the constellations, but we must also weight the negative consequences. Singapore, a high population density country, is keen in security. U might attract the police or some ppl might thing u harbour evil intentions, thus u might end up spending the night at the np post. :bangwall:
Secondly, if a plane crashed into a HDB as a result of the laser, the aftermath and damage done to Singapore is going to be far greater than the Tsunami. :violent: Besides, astro is not veri popular in Singapore, thus how r u going to explain yourself, if u are caught by the cops. :k-worried:
I think if caught by cops and you say use it for astro......I think they will either laugh or think that's the best excuse they have ever heard...

Haiz....we minority, no choice....