Disassembling a Meade SCT OTA

This is where you can read up the answers to some FAQs on astronomy and star-gazing in Singapore. Members' contributions are welcomed.
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

i fully flocked my 7" newt using protostar flocking paper...
you can get cheaper material from bras basah art & craft center.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Hi Gavin
Nice of you to share your experience here.
I've made this a sticky as I think its very useful although I do want to caution that unless you are sure what you are doing, you may kill the collimation instead of solving the problem...take care...

BTW, Wira did open up is LX200 just for fun (too see if it can be done) at a time when he is very free...of course these days he is so busy no one has seen him for months !
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

actually collimation is the least of the problem since you'll need to collimate it anyway (sct collimation is very easy), the risk is actually pinching the optics when you put back the corrector.
ALPiNe

Post by ALPiNe »

Hi Gavin,
starfinder wrote:He said that to tackle fungus, he had to use "Shell X55", which is somekind of white spirit, to remove and kill the fungus growth.
Is this 'Shell X55' solution suitable for use on all types of telescopes or only for selected ones? Also, is 'Shell X55' sold locally? Hope you can enlighten me on these. Thanks! :)

Cheers,
:cheers:
- ALPiNe
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

Hi Alpine,

Well, I've related what he told me about what he did using Shell X55. I don't know more about that. Perhaps a search on the net might yield some clues, or you can try calling Shell in Singapore.