Myths of the Naglers....

This is where you can read up the answers to some FAQs on astronomy and star-gazing in Singapore. Members' contributions are welcomed.
wucheeyiun

Myths of the Naglers....

Post by wucheeyiun »

Cloudynights bedside reading....Interesting article for all naglers owners.

[acc: see link below]
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I think putting a link to the document is better than uploading the whole document to SingAstro site as this may have some copyright issue, unless you have the cloudynight permission.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
wucheeyiun

Post by wucheeyiun »

Good idea, cloudynights website link...
http://www.cloudynights.com/documents/naglers.pdf

Administrator, can help delete download?
denebman

Post by denebman »

'TT' has written tons of reviews on Cloudynights, this is the one that pushed me to buy my first Nagler T4/17 and later the T5/31.
10" Telekit with Zambuto optics~TMB 152/1200 (construction)~Takashi Mewlon 210~TMB 80/600
wucheeyiun

Post by wucheeyiun »

Its a good eyepiece, i took over charlie " legendary" 13 nagler without regrets, even though it is nicked and dented every where ( to a point even cannot screw in a filter ) it is still worth it. :D
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

No offence to Nagler owners, but I feel the Naglers are overated.

I have used a line of Naglers in my past 20 years in this hobby and sometimes, I feel some of those Meades UWA are more comfortable to use. Some of the Naglers require very good placement of the eye which can be quite difficult for newbies.

Nevertheless, the good thing about the Naglers is that they come in different size and shape. The Meades UWA are quite standard.

If you take the 9mm T6 and compare with the Meade 5000 8.8 UWA (both which I owned recently), I would gladly let you have the 9mm T6 and pocket a US$100 difference.

But then again, I think a lot of people go for names.
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

I guess all eyepieces have pros and cons; and I like the naglers for their extremely wide field and excellent correction although the eye placement needs to get used to but I guess with experience anyone can learn to master their own equipment. The most important is to be content with what we have be it expensive or cheap equipment. :)