Stephen F. Austin State University Astronomy Links

This is where you can read up the answers to some FAQs on astronomy and star-gazing in Singapore. Members' contributions are welcomed.
alvinsclee

Post by alvinsclee »

Hi,
This very comprehensive astronomy link site from Stephen F. Austin State University is a must-visit site for all. I enjoyed reading many of the articles that the links lead me to. Here is the weblink:-

http://www.physics.sfasu.edu/astro/astr ... s/all.html

Unfortunately, there were some broken links and hijacked links. Be forewarned. Just ignore the irrelevant ones.
wucheeyiun

Post by wucheeyiun »

Hi alvin, good reading material....i enjoyed the early phase development of ancient astronomy.
alvinsclee

Post by alvinsclee »

Hi,
Here is one more interesting article that might change the way we view our universe:-

Light's Most Exotic Trick Yet: So Fast it Goes ... Backwards?
http://www.physorg.com/news66582110.html

It makes me wonder about the point where light starts to reverse... is it where the time stand still... where past, present and future begin to merge at that particular instant?

And how about the time of Big Bang... was it the instant when the end of a previous space-time met the creation of our current space-time? Was it when light (energy) started a force to create new matter? Einstein sort of suggested that energy, matter and light are closely related in his well-known E=mc² equation.

Incidentally, all these inter-connectedness remind me of a book called "The Holographic Universe" by Michael Talbot. There is a short article about the universe as a hologram in this website.
Last edited by alvinsclee on Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:35 am, edited 26 times in total.
alvinsclee

Post by alvinsclee »

Hi,
Whenever I look up at the wonders of the sky, I can't help but be immersed in the sense of awe. That's where we amateur astronomers are united as one. The Universe is ours to enjoy and protect... much the same as naturalists love Nature for all that she is.

Cheers!
weedee

Post by weedee »

I don't think we can protect the Universe..much less damage it :) it's just way too big
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

reading the part on chinese astronomy, to think if not for some really messed up period in its history, they should have been at the forefront of technology to day...look at the compass, paper and gunpowder...in the end , it is other nations that have improved on them.

as for the crab...i wonder if a similar SN will occur in our lifetime..?
it would be amazing to see an object even during the day for a year!
even singapore's cloudy weather will not be a hindrance if you have 1 year to catch it!
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
alvinsclee

Post by alvinsclee »

Hi,
weedee wrote:I don't think we can protect the Universe..much less damage it :) it's just way too big
I just hope space explorers do not add more debris by ejecting them out to space... although it would probably take eons for the effects to be felt.

Being a naturalist as well, I know from what I saw in the environment that we can all play our part in keeping things pristine.

And of course, light pollution is another form of pollution that hinders total enjoyment of nature's largest wonder.

Clear Skies!
weedee

Post by weedee »

ohh.. hmm true..but i was thinking of the Universe as the really really big outer space where we are truly insignficant.

the debris..and the light pollution..i'll call it the Earth's surronding. The Universe doesn't exactly welcome us, it threathens to wipe us all out in a few billion years, along with all our debris that we ever created.

Nature gives a more motherly feel....to me that is.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

weedee wrote:ohh.. hmm true..but i was thinking of the Universe as the really really big outer space where we are truly insignficant.

the debris..and the light pollution..i'll call it the Earth's surronding. The Universe doesn't exactly welcome us, it threathens to wipe us all out in a few billion years, along with all our debris that we ever created.

Nature gives a more motherly feel....to me that is.
you have to understand that "rubbish" is only rubbish to us because it disrupts our health, way of life, etc. to the universe, it is just normal matter mixed together into different configurations. at the end of the day, its merely carbon, calcium, etc. and the universe is replete with such stuff..
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
alvinsclee

Post by alvinsclee »

It may look harmlessly small but...
http://www.space.com/spacewatch/space_junk.html
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/p ... 00905.html

50 years ago, nobody really cared about throwing stuff into the vast ocean. Today, fishery industries suffer from the effects of marine pollution and beaches are increasingly not as pure as it should be for total enjoyment.

Similarly, today's space debris would be tomorrow's dangerous sky fallouts. We can never be sure when our improperly disposed wastes will hit back at us... and it may return as insiduous forms (those who understand the term biomagnification in environmental toxicity studies would know what I mean).

I guess I digressed off-topic here, as my original post was about useful astronomy links from the SFA University. But I do hope that the universe will continue to inspire insight and awe... and not retire into an awful sight.

http://egj.lib.uidaho.edu/egj15/miller1.html