Light Pollution Map of Singapore

This is where you can read up the answers to some FAQs on astronomy and star-gazing in Singapore. Members' contributions are welcomed.
chrisyeo

Light Pollution Map of Singapore

Post by chrisyeo »

I took a satellite image of the earth at night (from http://www.darksky.org/images/sat.html) and superimposed it on a map of Malaysia to see where are the main light pollution spots. This has better resolution than other maps I've seen.

ImageYou may also access it here

I'm posting it here for the benefit of those who are keen on hunting for possible observation sights near to Singapore.

Another place you can get a light pollution map is Yi-Zen's Webpage: http://www.stargazing.net/yizen/seaastro.html that uses data from the World Atlas of the Artificial Night Sky Brightness.
Attachments
MalaysiaLightPollutionMap.zip
(621.53 KiB) Downloaded 414 times
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Nice! But why is there a bright patch at Mersing? :shock:
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Nice map! Andrew, Mersing is actually quite a sizeable town. Our observing site is north of T.Resang, away from the orange patch :)
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Thanks CC!

I was wondering - since the stretch on the east coast of Malaysia between Singapore and Mersing seems quite 'dark', wouldn't it be better to ob somewhere nearer to Singapore, provided the light pollution doesn't reach the site?

Hmm...
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Seems like that's what the map shows, but I wonder if that's the reality.

Anyone seen the sky at that stretch? Is it really comparable to Mersing?
river

Post by river »

That's where Batu Layar and Desaru (the Orange spot on the east)located. Some of you had been there or will be there this weekend.
rlow

Post by rlow »

Ian and some of us have discussed about doing a recce trip in those areas....
Jingguo

Post by Jingguo »

hm....Bintan looks like a pretty good place 4 observing. i heard d hotel rates there r getting quite cheap. hm....
oxygn

Post by oxygn »

wah!! reading the description of the "gray" skies at bortle light pollution's website, which exists on the east coast of malaysia between singapore and mersing makes me excited man and yet wonder y no one has recced for a place to ob in that region.
astrobabe

Re: Light Pollution Map of Singapore

Post by astrobabe »

Doesn't this mean that S'pore's a lousy place to view stars? It's so light polluted!