Video : How to collimate a Newtonian

This is where you can read up the answers to some FAQs on astronomy and star-gazing in Singapore. Members' contributions are welcomed.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Video : How to collimate a Newtonian

Post by Airconvent »

Thanks to Meng Lee for the link. This site has an excellent video tutorial on how to collimate a Newtonian scope. Do check it out!
Cheers

http://www.andysshotglass.com/Collimating.html
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Meng Lee

Post by Meng Lee »

Actually credit goes to Joo Beng from Astrobargains for introducing me to the "Andy Shot Glass website"

Hehe.
VinSnr
Administrator

Re: Video : How to collimate a Newtonian

Post by VinSnr »

Airconvent wrote:Thanks to Meng Lee for the link. This site has an excellent video tutorial on how to collimate a Newtonian scope. Do check it out!
Cheers

http://www.andysshotglass.com/Collimating.html
actually I find the most accurate way is to use the Cat's eye method.
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

wat's cat's eye? there seems to be alot of things that i still have not figured out abt collimation. anyone gd at offsetting?

~MooEy~
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
anyone gd at offsetting?
After you centre the secondary mirror as seen in a sight tube, the offset toward the primary will be automatically done.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

MooEy wrote:wat's cat's eye? there seems to be alot of things that i still have not figured out abt collimation. anyone gd at offsetting?

~MooEy~
I mean the catseye collimation system

http://www.catseyecollimation.com/

Laser alignment is still very rough compare to the catseye. Using the catseye system on my 8" f/4 (very sensitive to collimation), I could see waves and waves of bands on Jupiter which I could not see using a 8" SCT. It's freaky to know how much you have been missing out unless your collimation is till that level.

Barlow laser is also good, but still a little "rough" compare to the cats. The catseye uses a mirror autocolimator which is very unforgiving even if the misalignment is very little. It shows up on the autocollimator mirror, and you just can't miss it, no matter how small the misalignment is.

The system is not cheap, and is meant for crazy people like me who has nothing else to do except fine-tuning every single astro item I have. For most people, the barlow laser would be very good already.

BTW, don't worry about the offset thing. If you use the barlow laser or the catseye, the offset would have been automatic if you get everything align.
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

The Catseye looks cool... can I try it out on yours first before I buy?
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

eh wait, when did u ever have a newt. my list too outdated liao sia.

~MooEy~
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
eh wait, when did u ever have a newt. my list too outdated liao sia.
He got a 12.5" or 15" (?? can't remember) Zambuto mirror (which a few of SingAstroian brought directly from Zambuto) in an Obsession structure.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

MooEy wrote:eh wait, when did u ever have a newt. my list too outdated liao sia.

~MooEy~
Bro...I suspect someone here owns the Hubble also, but keep quiet only

Many people here have crazy equipments, but all keep quiet.

Probably someone here has a private helicopter that flys him to mersing every night but never share....