Alt-Az Suitable for astrophoto?

This is where you can read up the answers to some FAQs on astronomy and star-gazing in Singapore. Members' contributions are welcomed.
kamiru

Post by kamiru »

hi guys.
i am deciding whether to get a alt az GOTO mount for just basic stargazing and astrophotography. Is it possible to use it for astrophoto or can i use stacking software for that?
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

will have to depend on the accuracy of the goto mount.
Astrophoto is doable...but note if you are serious about photogrpahy, you will need to invest in an equatorial drive mount instead and learn drift alignment. This will ensure reasonable tracking for long exposures.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
mrngbss

Post by mrngbss »

I use a Alt-az mount without GOTO to take images of the Sun. I have not tried my mount for night astrophotography yet.
Wee Nghee the Pooh
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Basically Alt-Az mount are not suitable for most Astrophotography without an equatorial wedge (if it support one)... you should be able to do some of those very short exposure astrophotography, such as lunar and planetary.

Longer exposure is basically impossible due to field rotation... You might be able to do some long exposure astrophotography if you image object directly on east-west plane, but not cross over the zenith during the exposure.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
kamiru

Post by kamiru »

Hi guys,

appreciate the answers. I will be getting the ioptron goto mount. It does have a retrofit for the wedge. Think i will be capturing the southern astropics. Will stacking help also? Will be using a DSLR.
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

I doubt ioptron is up to the task, use http://www.astrotrac.com/
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

ariefm71 wrote:I doubt ioptron is up to the task, use http://www.astrotrac.com/
Note that you would need to polar align the Astrotrac. In Singapore I do not know how to do that yet.. [smilie=confused.gif]
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

Tachyon wrote:
ariefm71 wrote:I doubt ioptron is up to the task, use http://www.astrotrac.com/
Note that you would need to polar align the Astrotrac. In Singapore I do not know how to do that yet.. [smilie=confused.gif]
I written to the MD of astrotrac regarding this as well.

Actually with GPS and hence all the GOTO capability, why didn't someone come out with an automatic polar align mount by now?
bernardchew

Post by bernardchew »

[quote="kamiru"]Hi guys,

appreciate the answers. I will be getting the ioptron goto mount. It does have a retrofit for the wedge. Think i will be capturing the southern astropics. Will stacking help also? Will be using a DSLR.[/quote]

I am using an iOptron Minitower, but thus far for visual use only. You can use it to image the moon and planets. For such short exposures, field rotation is not a problem. But it is a lot more difficult with DSOs.

If you seach "astrophotography" in the iOptron group in http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ioptron/ you will find some discussions about a John Bozeman who was able to do some DSO imaging with the iOptron but without a wedge. The gist is that his exposures are short enough for field rotation not to be noticeable (about 50secs).

A company called Trapezium Telescopes also sells a wedge for the IOptron minitower that converts it to equatorial mode for even better results. But I doubt wedges can work in Singapore, since it means the mount would have to be tilted 90deg to the sideways position - I doubt it will be very stable that way.

Good luck.

Bernard
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

if ur hardcore enough, can try one of those 50mm finders to do drift alignment for the astrotrac.