Canon 1dmk4

This is where you can read up the answers to some FAQs on astronomy and star-gazing in Singapore. Members' contributions are welcomed.
wucheeyiun

Post by wucheeyiun »

i remembered my first digital camera from olympus was c1400l using mmc card...which cost me $1500...now that ccd sensor is on every consumer phone camera...

these ccds will be very economical to produce and cheaply available...
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

wucheeyiun wrote:for nikon 3ds, the sensor has a huge improvement, the " photon pots " has been enlarge from 5nm to 8 nm...representing 50% more genuine light sensitivity....should be a great boost for astro photo in terms of reducing exposure time :)
if the pots are circular, then the surface area increase is not 50% but additional ~150%
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
croys wrote: Does anyone know about the status of the Nikon RAW files? That put me off Nikon for astro use.
Not sure about the new D300s/D3s/D3x, but D300 and D3 still use the same noise reduction "unfriendly" RAW file.

Anyway, I don't think Nikon will stop their current method of producing the RAW file as this'll reduce the noise advantage over Canon DSLR. I just hope Canon don't follow the Nikon way of producing RAW file in the future.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
andeelym

Post by andeelym »

croys wrote:I agree - that's why I got a hacked 5D recently, and am considering hacking my old 350D.
May I know what kind of hack is that? And what additional functions does it bring?

Frankly, I prefer a full frame 5D Mark II (which I am using now) than a APS-H (1.3x crop) of the 1D Mark IV. Although it gives longer reach iif using photographic lenses. Anyway, in astrophotography, the additional fps is useless and the weight is a bane rather than a boon to an astrophotographer.