Observation sites in Singapore

This is where you can read up the answers to some FAQs on astronomy and star-gazing in Singapore. Members' contributions are welcomed.
oxygn

Post by oxygn »

hmm.... u guys might know the cemetary areas. but just to let u guys know from my experience, the muslim cemetary is the best so far...
soulfrost

Post by soulfrost »

i introduce one to all of you :
orchard country club.

one of the fields are like.. so dark after around 11. dark enough to not be affected.

to get there: go to yishun mrt station to wait for shuttle bus
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

oxygn wrote:hmm.... u guys might know the cemetary areas. but just to let u guys know from my experience, the muslim cemetary is the best so far...
You're quite brave oxygn, haha.. my outfield area is just behind there. Yea it's a good site, but i think to be on the safer side, i wouldn't go there alone. You know, those things. Besides, you're at the muslim area, i can't speak Malay, even if they wanna come shoo me off i also don't understand! :oops:

Er, no racist remark intended. Just in case. My engrand is lousy ah..
ovc17m

Post by ovc17m »

Came across a pretty nice site this evening while jogging along Upper Seletar Reservoir. There stands a tall viewing tower with 360 degrees view all round, abt 5-6 storeys high. Surrrounding with very min. light pollution as seen from the top.

Only tough part is to bring all the equipment up!! And also, because centre of the tower is the spiral staircase up, the zenith might be partially blocked.

Anyone been there b4?
~Clear skies don't occur every night, so date your BIG LENS out when the chance comes~
oxygn

Post by oxygn »

zong wrote: You're quite brave oxygn, haha.. my outfield area is just behind there. Yea it's a good site, but i think to be on the safer side, i wouldn't go there alone. You know, those things. Besides, you're at the muslim area, i can't speak Malay, even if they wanna come shoo me off i also don't understand! :oops:

Er, no racist remark intended. Just in case. My engrand is lousy ah..
Hahah, i never go there alone...=) really great place. equipment can be literally set up next to the car.=)
cataclysm

Post by cataclysm »

While serving my in-camp-training, I have the opportunity to roam at the Lim Chu Kang cemetery. The sky is really darker. Any one brave enough?
oxygn

Post by oxygn »

will put a post up when i go there the next time=) can join me if you want
branzzz

Post by branzzz »

be careful of foreign workers and illegals. my friend got all his fingers broken and his one month old car totalled after three illegals tried to rob and attempt to murder him in lim chu kang.
kohjb

Post by kohjb »

Oh, and just to let folks know, I consider the Tuas ob site unusable already. All the street lights in the new area (that previously were off) are now on so it's no longer dark. Unless one day they open up the new areas, maybe can get out to the fringe and look towards the dark again ? I did go to LCK and the cemetery area is indeed better...but just a bit too creepy :-P I also tried Jalan Batara(sp?) further north that is quite dark, but I couldn't find a good site for obing there. I did not go all the way in to the camps there since their lights were on.
Celestron 9.25SGT, Meade ETX125, Orion ED80
rlow

Post by rlow »

be careful of foreign workers and illegals. my friend got all his fingers broken and his one month old car totalled after three illegals tried to rob and attempt to murder him in lim chu kang.
Can you confirm this incident and verify its exact location? Elton, Clement, Airconvent and I were observing at Lim Chu Kang Lane 1A on Tuesday 19 Sep 06 and every thing was ok then.