Buying scope in London?

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
zenfeng2001

Buying scope in London?

Post by zenfeng2001 »

Hi, I am a real newbie trying to pick up my first telescope. Want something portable cos I am fairly sure I won't use it much if it is too cumbersome to lug about. Often go to London and Taiwan for business trip and can pick up a scope from there. Anyone has any suggestions for a good scope? Am thinking of the WO Megrez 72 or Celestron C90 Mak - are these good choices? How aboutnthe Vixen VMC 90 or Meade ETX 80? anyone has any advice? Is London or Taiwan a better place to buy than here? Appreciate any advice. Thanks
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

hello welcome to the forum.

If you are thinking of scopes from US-based companies, it is unlikely to be worthwhile getting them from Europe since the prices are inevitably higher (~2x?) plus there is the killer VAT of 20% (unless you can claim VAT offset of course).

If there's a WO scope you fancy, than getting them from Taiwan is a good way to save on shipping charges. I believe they offer a 10% discount off their online prices for walk-in customers. Their small showroom is in Danshui; better to contact them to confirm price and availability before going as the place is more like their office than a retail store. Also, they ship direct to Singapore quickly and cheaply.

The WO Megrez 72 is a bit aperture-limited and does not come with tube rings. The Megrez 90 comes with tube-rings, cost twice as much, but may be a better bet. The C90 Mak does not have good reviews, an ETX-90 OTA should outperform it. Don't think the VMC 90 and ETX 80 are good but you should research online for the latest reviews.

If I were you, given your aim for something portable, I will look at M90, C5 SCT, C6 SCT etc. I am sure others will have yet more recommendations.

And look out for great deals in buy and sell. Much better value than getting new.
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
acc
Administrator

Post by acc »

Oh do read the recent Sky90 thread in Equip Discussion section; lots of info there.
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Zenfeng,

Welcome to Singastro!

You may find this useful:
http://www.astro.sg/p/buying-telescope.html

PM me if you are very keen to get hold of the latest edition of The Backyard Astronomer's Guide.

Good luck!
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

I was in Taipei some months back. I was sorely tempted to pay the Yangs a visit. But alas, did not have enough time.

If you go to Taiwan often, I think William-Optics is the best bet.
zenfeng2001

Buying scope in London?

Post by zenfeng2001 »

Thanks for all the advice. Was in London yesterday and checked out the prices at Widescreen. Given how much the pound has fallen, prices aren't half too bad. Vixen Porta ii mount is now selling for 230 pounds if one succeeds in claiming GST. If I buy off amazon, it still comes up to around 220 pounds. Does anyone know how much it sells in Singapore? Also checked out the Backyard Astronomer Guide - retailing for 33 quid hardcover. But it's heavy, so I don't mind picking one up from you, Gary, if you have an extra copy to let go. And I do agree with you Orly, WO seems the best value for $$. Btw the Megrez 90 and the Zenithstar 80 ED APO, which would people choose? I like the latter because of portability but am I giving up a lot by buying the smaller scope?
Appreciate your advice.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Zenfeng.

Astrobargains is selling the Vixen PORTA II mount for SGD$729. ( http://astrobargains.com/Price%20List%20page.htm ). Another popular competitive AZ mount is the Astro-Tech Voyager.

For the B.A.G. book, what I meant by "get hold" is to lend it to you to read. I bought it recently during the last 20% storewide offer at Kinokuniya at Taka. You may PM me your HP to arrange for a pickup. I don't have an extra copy to sell.

I am thinking of donating this book to the reference section at Toa Payoh Library if I cannot convince them to do so using their own funds. :)

When considering which scopes to buy, you may also want to consider the nature of the observing sites you can potentially access. For example, are there good, dark or dark enough skies in the places you visit in London and Taiwan? Could you temporarily leave the scopes at those places and thus would consider a slightly bigger refractor OTA for better views? Do you have the time and transport to travel further out from these urban sites (I assume) to nearby darker sites?

In addition to the 2 refractors you have mentioned, you may also want to consider a Maksutov-Cassegrain telescope which is also relatively portable for the aperture it packs.

-- John Dobson.
acc
Administrator

Re: Buying scope in London?

Post by acc »

zenfeng2001 wrote: Btw the Megrez 90 and the Zenithstar 80 ED APO, which would people choose? I like the latter because of portability but am I giving up a lot by buying the smaller scope?
I have had both scopes before but not both at the same time. While using the 80, I kept wondering how the views would look like in the 90. When I had the 90, I wondered how things wld look like in a 102. I eventually ended up with a 110 as my largest portable refractor. :-)

Views are not very much brighter in the 90 compared with the 80; after all, they are both rather small. If I were you, I will get the 90. Great little scope, very little CA and of course very well built.

cheers
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
zenfeng2001

Post by zenfeng2001 »

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. Ended up getting the Nexstar 127 SLT as I needed portability and it was the best deal in London. Too impatient to get started to wait for my next trip to Taiwan to get the WO. Lugged it back successfully in my hand carry last night. Wish me luck with the setting it up!
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Zen Feng. Congratulations on getting your very first telescope! The Universe is yours to explore now!

A 127mm MCT is a very versatile portable scope. I think you will enjoy using it for a long time. Did you manage to look at Jupiter, Moon and the Orion Nebula just now? They looked gorgeous (for sg standard)! Seems like your telescope didn't bring any clouds back to Singapore. The sky last night and early this morning was the clearest for the past week or two! :)

Now that you have telescope, I guess you will be looking at related accessories soon. Let the poison begin! :)

-- John Dobson.