New Guy on the block!

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
Akatsuki

New Guy on the block!

Post by Akatsuki »

Greeting Ladies & Gentleman!

Took me quite a while to actually decide to open an account here. Have been intrigued and amazed by the sights of the heavens since i was a kid, even got a young astronomer badge from 1 of those primary school science project scheme. My interests was further boost when i caught a glimpse of the awesome star-filled sky during 1 of our school camping trip to Sarimbun scout camp.

Unfortunately, as one grows, priority change and astronomy seems so.... well, out of reach. My interests was briefly rekindled back in my polytechnic days when i had a brush with my school's astronomy club, but unfortunately, nothing materialized out of it when you have other focus at that age.

It was only earlier this year that this interest was rekindled yet again. Been spending the occasional weekends reading up on the heavenly bodies and amateur astronomy know-how. I must say my experience in photography (my other poison) really helps in some technical aspects.

Hope to be able to meet you guys in 1 of the gathering/sessions soon!

On a side note, planning to get the Celestron Astromaster 114/130 as a starter towards the end of the year, please share with me your views of this scope or any alternative scopes that's within this budget.

Thank you!
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Welcome to SingAstro. Jupiter opposition is coming up, so look out for star parties where you can have a feel of the different types of scopes and how they perform. Don't buy the Astromaster until you have done so or you might just end up disappointed. Do some online research first and look at what's available in buy n sell. Take your time to decide :)

cheers
Chee Chien
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Akatsuki. Welcome to Singastro!

- You may want to check out the library books on stargazing and telescope (section 520).

- You may find this article and the links in it useful --> http://www.astro.sg/p/buying-telescope.html

- Do participate in as many public observations sessions (singastro and other clubs and societies) as possible before buying.

- Find out what kind of celestial objects you enjoy seeing and/or imaging more, what kind of skies you have access to and willingness to travel far for better skies, what is your tolerance for weight, bulkiness and hassle of setting up. This understanding will help you make a good buying decision within your budget.

Good luck and have fun!
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
shirox
Favourite scope: Takahashi FSQ85EDX

Post by shirox »

Hi Akatsuki! I suppose you are a fan of Naruto too!? hahaha
Adding to what Acc has mentioned, joining star parties and observation session can let you have a first hand experience of how the performances of different scope. Sometimes in Toa Payoh, ECP, Eunos and not forgetting "over the bridge trips" to Malaysia where even entry level scope can perform very very well under minimal light pollution conditions.
If you have a car, then sometimes size and weight is not the issue lol
Join us for sessions if you have the time! lol We are a bunch of friendly and lovely people that loves to share lol
http://eltonastronomy.blogspot.com/

Mersing finally installed some water sink!
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Welcome to Singastro, Akatsuki !
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Welcome Akatsuki
Do read up all the FAQ we have on this site and check out the "live" scopes on display at the Science Centre shop to get a feel of the type of scopes out there. I was like you too. Very interested in astronomy as a kid and then lost touch before rekindling it in adulthood.
Have fun and do join any of the occasional obs sessions. Remus is organising a trip so you may want to join his group to..

- Konoha Shinobi
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

Hi Atasuki! Welcome to the club!
I agree with the others - do join one of our local or Malaysia obs sessions before getting any scope - views through most scopes are very different from the expectations of most newbies, which is mainly the fault of the astrophotographers and their nice, colorful images :)
Regarding the AM114/130EQ, its a fine scope in itself although being a reflector it will require that you learn about collimation as well, so do be aware that some maintainence and extra equipment is needed for your scope to function at its best.
Also, they are 'barlowed" scopes, meaning that there is an extra optical element inherent in the scope which doubles its focal length. It may or may not make for any difference in the views, but just so you're aware :)
What's your budget like? There are always a few used items on the forums that you might want to check out as well. Used items are generally well cared for and the extra benefit is you can preview your item before purchase, preferably with a knowledgable friend :)
DON'T PANIC
Gary

Post by Gary »

Some of the pre-loved items rocks!!! :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
stargazer

Post by stargazer »

Hi Chee Chien, I was just wondering if it would be good to add in some photos and info of the northen trips or Gary's obs in the FAQ session for beginners. Can even put up some splendid astro photos taken by Shirox and Remus gang to inspire the newbies! [smilie=ahaaah.gif]
jimmyleong

Post by jimmyleong »

welcome welcome....