Hello newbie alert!

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
Avarielle
Favourite scope: 255" Three-mirror anastigmat telescope

Hello newbie alert!

Post by Avarielle »

Hello.

Avarielle here. Have been lurking around since March and finally decided to say hi.

Anyway, have been mildy interested in astronomy since I was very young but my interest in history took over for many years. Until early this year when my astronomy interest returned.

Currently, I own a Celestron AstroMaster 70EQ - someday hoping to upgrade to something else. Don't do much observing due to 'exciting' things known as school, life and my 'very good friends' the clouds and rain.

Yeah. That's about it. Hope to join in some of the observing sessions some day.
Bishan Park Sidewalk Astronomy Facebook: Singapore SideWalk Astronomy Twitter:@BishanParkAstro
Clifford60

Re: Hello newbie alert!

Post by Clifford60 »

Hi Avarielle, welcome to Singastro
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Welcome to Singastro. Do check out our FAQ section first..and don't forget the Science Centre holds weekly sessions on Friday nights, weather permitting. :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Avarielle. Welcome to Singastro! Perhaps you would like to share with us how long you have own this scope, what objects you have seen through it so far? This may be useful for other newcomer/lurkers who may be thinking of getting the same telescope as a starter scope. I have not seen through one as well so I am quite curious.

Ya. The weather is not that fantastic overall. How fast can you setup when the skies are temporarily clear? Yesterday (monday) early morning around 4.30 am till 6 am, the sky was amazingly clear!!! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the numerous constellations clearly. Got-picture-got-talk (GPGT). May post about it here and/or blog about it in the future. :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Avarielle

Post by Avarielle »

As encouraged by Gary's post, thought I'd post a bit more about my scope.

I've had my scope since mid-April of this year. First light was back in April, I saw Saturn. Then school got really really busy and I didn't have the time or energy to bring my scope out.

Due to the "wonderful" Singapore weather and light pollution, I haven't had the opportunity to see much. Also, I don't drive so I only take my scope around the garden and the balcony. So far, I've seen Saturn, the Moon and Jupiter. I might have seen other things but in my inexperience, I probably didn't realise it.

I keep the scope set up in my bedroom, next to the balcony door. So setting it is just a matter of getting the scope off the tripod/mount, carrying/dragging the tripod/mount outside and replacing the scope on top of the mount. And if I am really lazy, I would just drag the entire thing outside - just be careful not the hit the doorframe or anything else.

Feel free to ask anything else. This community has been amazing and I've been 'leeching' information and knowledge so I think it is only right I give some back.
Bishan Park Sidewalk Astronomy Facebook: Singapore SideWalk Astronomy Twitter:@BishanParkAstro
Gary

Post by Gary »

@Avarielle. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Appreciate it. Looks like you are indeed ready to upgrade to a better scope. Have fun researching about it. :)

-- John Dobson.
mandaragit

Post by mandaragit »

hi and welcome!
kaomoo

Post by kaomoo »

Hi Avarielle
from one newbie to another
Welcome to the forum.
My scope is even newer. First light was in August LOL,
Gary came over to help set up and showed me quite a few things.
Thanks to "Wonderful" weather (which Gary blamed me for :p) I haven't break the scope out much recently. Just added a few pieces of hardware that is itching for showing.
Probably will be inviting Gary over sometime again to play with the new bits :) Perhaps we should organise a "newbies" party!

See my new bits and pieces. That's what happened when you have not sky to watch and keep going to online website :p
Avarielle

Post by Avarielle »

kaomoo: Your setup is nice. I am jealous. But I'm just an unemployed freshly graduated student so I can't spend too much money on my hobbies. Hopefully someone will employ me so that I can work and get paid, and buy more stuff for my scope.

You're right. I'd be interested to join in if there is a "newbies" party. HAHA.

Gary: I'm itching to upgrade. But things such as being unemployed and a lack of space means that my future scope plans are currently on hold. Though I'm very happy with my current scope and don't see a real need to upgrade.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Avarielle wrote:kaomoo: Your setup is nice. I am jealous. But I'm just an unemployed freshly graduated student so I can't spend too much money on my hobbies. Hopefully someone will employ me so that I can work and get paid, and buy more stuff for my scope.

You're right. I'd be interested to join in if there is a "newbies" party. HAHA.

Gary: I'm itching to upgrade. But things such as being unemployed and a lack of space means that my future scope plans are currently on hold. Though I'm very happy with my current scope and don't see a real need to upgrade.
Actually there is no need to segregate star parties into newbies and non-newbies. Most, if not all of the star parties (singastro's or otherwise) usually have a mix of newbies and veterans. That is why a star party is so much fun. Newbies should not feel intimidated or shy. The veterans are very generous and happy to share their knowledge about the hobby. Feel free to ask any questions during the star parties. Just like this forum, no question is considered too dumb.

@Avarielle - Do take your time and enjoy what you already have. The more observing time you spend with your current scope, the more you will realise what you enjoy viewing more, the better the purchasing decision you will make in the future, the more you will appreciate your future scopes.

-- John Dobson.