Hello newbie alert!

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
kaomoo

Re: Hello newbie alert!

Post by kaomoo »

Just took this

not the best but at least with the vibration pad, at least now can take native focus....
Gary

Post by Gary »

Awesome! GRS! You may want to start a new thread at the Astrophotography section and post future enhancements of this photo there. :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
kaomoo

Post by kaomoo »

Gary wrote:Awesome! GRS! You may want to start a new thread at the Astrophotography section and post future enhancements of this photo there. :)
ha ha ha
i find out something I must do/get.

Dew shield!!!!

by the time i got my focus spot on....
kaomoo

Post by kaomoo »

one more
Avarielle
Favourite scope: 255" Three-mirror anastigmat telescope

Post by Avarielle »

Gary wrote:
Avarielle wrote:kaomoo: Your setup is nice. I am jealous. But I'm just an unemployed freshly graduated student so I can't spend too much money on my hobbies. Hopefully someone will employ me so that I can work and get paid, and buy more stuff for my scope.

You're right. I'd be interested to join in if there is a "newbies" party. HAHA.

Gary: I'm itching to upgrade. But things such as being unemployed and a lack of space means that my future scope plans are currently on hold. Though I'm very happy with my current scope and don't see a real need to upgrade.
Actually there is no need to segregate star parties into newbies and non-newbies. Most, if not all of the star parties (singastro's or otherwise) usually have a mix of newbies and veterans. That is why a star party is so much fun. Newbies should not feel intimidated or shy. The veterans are very generous and happy to share their knowledge about the hobby. Feel free to ask any questions during the star parties. Just like this forum, no question is considered too dumb.

@Avarielle - Do take your time and enjoy what you already have. The more observing time you spend with your current scope, the more you will realise what you enjoy viewing more, the better the purchasing decision you will make in the future, the more you will appreciate your future scopes.
I'm already spending a lot of time with my scope. Especially now that I'm not working or schooling so I stay up all night and observe. There is still a lot of things I can learn about the sky so I don't see a scope upgrade anytime too soon. Though I do admit to techlust at times.
Bishan Park Sidewalk Astronomy Facebook: Singapore SideWalk Astronomy Twitter:@BishanParkAstro
kaomoo

Post by kaomoo »

Avarielle
(that's an unusual name.... American?)

I am envious too. I just got home from work at 12mn, and got a text from Gary that Jupiter is high and bright....

ended up dragging my tired arse out to drag my 40kg equipment outdoor ...

didn't regret it though... beautiful tonight.

Now Gary is trying to egg me to stay up and shoot Orion..... tempting but I will be so dead tomorrow...
Gary

Post by Gary »

@Avarielle - If you are still awake, time to observe like NOW!!!!!! Make full use of your professional slacking time while you still have it!
[smilie=hell-yes.gif]

-- John Dobson.
Avarielle
Favourite scope: 255" Three-mirror anastigmat telescope

Post by Avarielle »

kaomoo wrote:Avarielle
(that's an unusual name.... American?)
I'm Singaporean - 100%. Avarielle is just an online name I use.
Gary wrote:@Avarielle - If you are still awake, time to observe like NOW!!!!!! Make full use of your professional slacking time while you still have it!
[smilie=hell-yes.gif]
I'm up. I've got my telescope out on the balcony and the sky's amazing.
Bishan Park Sidewalk Astronomy Facebook: Singapore SideWalk Astronomy Twitter:@BishanParkAstro
kaomoo

Post by kaomoo »

enjoy your night. i am off to bed for 2 hours before resuming work at 9am....
Gary

Post by Gary »

Avarielle wrote:I'm up. I've got my telescope out on the balcony and the sky's amazing.
Yeah. But Monday early morning, a couple of hours before sunrise, was even better than this! The very night you come out of lurking mode, the sky is clear! Haha. Other lurkers who are considering to do their first post in this forum, you may try this Friday or Saturday. LOL.
[smilie=good-luck.gif]

-- John Dobson.