Beginner Question!

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
Appleboy

Beginner Question!

Post by Appleboy »

Hey everyone!

I am wondering what beginner's telescope or binoculars do you guys recommend me to get if I am going to start learning the night sky soon? =)

Need price/model/place to buy!

Thanks alot!
Avarielle
Favourite scope: 255" Three-mirror anastigmat telescope

Re: Beginner Question!

Post by Avarielle »

Hi there!

Am a beginner myself.

I'm currently using a Celestron Astromaster 70EQ. Its a great scope, at least for me. Am enjoying it very much. I got it from Astro Scientific at the Science Centre earlier this year.

Just a couple of things to think about before you get your first telescope or binoculars.
1) What is your budget?
2) Where is your observing site? Near home? Far away? How will you transport your telescope/binoculars around?
3) What kind of things are you hoping to observe?

A good thing would be to go to a observing session and talk to others. They will be better able to assist you.

A great software to download is Stellarium. It tells you what's in the sky.

Also, if you have an iPhone/iPad, there are a number of apps you can download. There's StarWalk, Stellarium, Distant Suns 3, and others. If you're using Android, SkEye's a great software. And Google Sky Map is good as well.

Hope this helps.
Bishan Park Sidewalk Astronomy Facebook: Singapore SideWalk Astronomy Twitter:@BishanParkAstro
kaomoo

Post by kaomoo »

[smilie=cheer.gif] [smilie=cheer.gif] [smilie=cheer.gif]
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Appleboy. Welcome to Singastro! Read the following. You may find them useful

- http://www.singastro.org/web/mediawiki/ ... /Main_Page
- http://www.astro.sg/p/buying-telescope.html
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Appleboy

Post by Appleboy »

Hey there!

Avarielle:

1. There isn't any specific budget set for me, but preferrably below < SGD$800. However I do believe that it is pointless to get a very expensive telescope for beginner haha!

2. There is a great observation site near my house. I also have car that I can use, so in the future I plan to go LCK there to view the night sky since it is a great place.

3. What I really hope to see is deep space objects rather than planets (planets are snacks!). But I believe it is hard for first timer to locate those nebula that I want.

kaomoo:

Thanks for the jiayou! =D

Gary:

Thanks for the links! I read them before but I also wanna ask over here too haha.
shirox
Favourite scope: Takahashi FSQ85EDX

Post by shirox »

Hi there!

Welcome to Singastro lol

Basically there are a few dealers selling telecopes in Singapore at different prices.
For some of us, we go thru the hassle of shipping from the manufacturer or buy from one stop Astronomy website like http://www.optcorp.com

Places like http://www.cloudynights.com
http://eltonastronomy.blogspot.com/

Mersing finally installed some water sink!
kaomoo

Post by kaomoo »

like what shirox said. I got my gears from optcorp.com as well.
Appleboy

Post by Appleboy »

Wow, the prices at Optcorp seems cheap! How long does the delivery normally takes?

Additionally, I don't know what telescope to get leh. :|
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

$800?

find a used EQ-5 class mount for $400 (locally) and find a 127mm Mak (also used) for $350 locally.

these occasionally come up. Heck I sold a Vixen Polaris for $300 some time back..

another option.. kochu was selling an LXD75 mount + SN-8 scope for $600 some time back. He may still have it! IMHO that is a great deal ($600 for a computerized mount and 8" scope) and I was thinking of grabbing it before except I already have too much stuff.

the motors on his mount were a bit flaky due to intermittent encoder wheels but you can buy new encoder wheels for under $100 (or just live with the intermittent operation till you have more cash).

You would also need a new hand controller since the one on kochu's LXD75 was flaky. Another $100 to $150 for that.

I don't think you can find a better deal than that, although it is used and some repair is required.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Appleboy wrote: 3. What I really hope to see is deep space objects rather than planets (planets are snacks!).
Appleboy wrote:Additionally, I don't know what telescope to get leh. :|
Hi Appleboy. If you already came to the conclusion you prefer DSOs over planets, then the decision should be relatively easy - the scope that performs better for DSOs than planetary that is within your budget. Then, read the article in the second link about best beginners scope under $1000. Look at the those scopes and compare their pricing (e.g. on optcorp, astronomics) and their comparative performance on DSOs by reading the online reviews and discussion forums here and in Cloudynights, Astromart, Iceinspace, ....etc.

If you don't mind me asking, what planets and DSOs have you looked at so far and through how many different types of telescope? The reason I am asking is that if your conclusion in (3) is only base on astrophotos and videos, then there might be a chance that after buying your telescope, you end up discovering you actually prefer looking the other objects more which your purchased telescope is not so good in providing such views.

This is one of the main reasons why it is extremely beneficial for newcomers to attend star parties and look through as many scopes as possible before making your first telescope purchase.

But having said that, it is not end of the world if you end up buying the "wrong" telescope. No telescope is totally horrendous in looking at certain objects and absolutely perfect at others. So if you are too excited to observe the sky and can't wait to attend star parties before making a decision, then it is still okay as long as you have done your basic homework.

I second the scopes what Orly suggested base on your budget. Personally, I would recommend non-technical and non-astrophotograpy inclined yet newcomers getting a really good AZ mount first. Even when they progress to EQ mounts in the future, the AZ can still be a keeper for grab-n-go observations locally or overseas.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.