Questions from a beginner

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
kinya

Questions from a beginner

Post by kinya »

Hi people!

I was being introduced to this site not long ago and I believe I can find best answers here :)

Im 23 this year, and I have been fascinating of the aurora/northern lights, as well as being under a night sky with millions of stars above me. I just think that it's so magical being able to experience all these myself rather than photos from the internet..

I am not into telescope viewing(sorry) as I still prefer the feeling of standing under the mesmerising starry night or even the aurora in front of me, out of the busy cities of course.

This video: http://vimeo.com/29950141 is a very good example of places which I wanted to be. But unfortunately in Singapore, i wont be able to experience this. So in the years to come, which im still in my 20's, I would like to travel to countries which can give me the view I want.

I would like to ask is there actually any package tour to other countries which cater for night sky/aurora viewing only? something like outfield trip lol. Or the best bet is to travel alone(probably to Norway) to achieve my little 'dream'?

Thanks so much for the help people, I still have alot to learn I know :)
andeelym

Re: Questions from a beginner

Post by andeelym »

Do a google search on "aurora tours". Most of them are in Alaska and some of them are on cruises, there are some in Canada and Iceland as well.

I am also planning to go for one in the future and its in my list of things to do before I die. :D
Gary

Post by Gary »

@Kinya - Welcome to Singastro. :)

This is the Aurora report you have been waiting for:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10301
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Yup..ask Gavin..he always seems to be in the thick of the action and you're in luck too. The sun is getting to the active part of its 13 year cycle. Should have lots of aurora to see up North. :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets