Mounting for Explorer Scientific ED127

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
vivid

Re: Mounting for Explorer Scientific ED127

Post by vivid »

Guys, how about the Sky Watcher Pro 100 "APO"? Light enough to go on the Vixen Porta II. I like the Slow-Mo controls, not that the ES Twilight II is not buttery smooth or difficult to control with "push-to".

http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=12770

I guess the focusser would be a bit "rough" to use...but heck the thing's cheap and optical performance is great.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

The Sky Watcher 100mm f/9 is the same scope as the Vixen 100ED Sf and the Orion 100ED, albeit with a better package and focuser (the Orion has the worst).

These scopes aren't called the "poor man's TV102" for nothing - it's hard to screw up a long FPL-53 doublet.

It is light (I have one, but mine has gotten heavier due to the WO focuser) but it is long. I haven't had much experience with the Porta except Gary's with a 127mm Mak on it in August 2010 (!) in Punggai. Based on my impression of the Porta, I would not put the 100mm f/9 ED on it - sure it's light, but it's long and thus has a large moment arm.

Maybe it's just me, but even on a Vixen GP (15lb rated) I find the 100ED undermounted. It's nice and solid on the CGEM though! [smilie=admire.gif]
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi,
I have the explorescience 127 Apo triplet--sold to me by Chee Yuin and first of all--thank you Chee Yuin.;and because of that,I think I should reply.
The scope OTA,together with mounting rings and vixen dovetail weighs 9 kgs;thus more advisible to use a light finder scope like a 6x30 finder scope.
If mounted on porta II or astrovoyager mount,its pretty shaky as its a f/7.5--if I dont remember wrongly.Personally,I mount it on a manfrotto 400 --with a modified vixen type saddle---and its now steady enough for afocal astrophotography.Another lightwt mount for it may be the CG-5 converted to Altz mount.--without counterwt.
This scope is a triplet and so its CG is overly tilted to the front of the scope.The optics is very very good ---so good that when I use it to take the Sun's spectra,the lines show up distinctly.Needless to say,stars,planets and clusters all show pin- point images.
Another scope that can be comparible both in light collecting power and sharpness of image is the WO-132- fluorostar .These scope are much better performer than any 100mm ED;Apo etc;including the FL-102S.Finally thanks Chee Yuin for both scope.
vivid

Post by vivid »

superiorstream wrote:Hi,
I have the explorescience 127 Apo triplet--sold to me by Chee Yuin and first of all--thank you Chee Yuin.;and because of that,I think I should reply.
The scope OTA,together with mounting rings and vixen dovetail weighs 9 kgs;thus more advisible to use a light finder scope like a 6x30 finder scope.
If mounted on porta II or astrovoyager mount,its pretty shaky as its a f/7.5--if I dont remember wrongly.Personally,I mount it on a manfrotto 400 --with a modified vixen type saddle---and its now steady enough for afocal astrophotography.Another lightwt mount for it may be the CG-5 converted to Altz mount.--without counterwt.
This scope is a triplet and so its CG is overly tilted to the front of the scope.The optics is very very good ---so good that when I use it to take the Sun's spectra,the lines show up distinctly.Needless to say,stars,planets and clusters all show pin- point images.
Another scope that can be comparible both in light collecting power and sharpness of image is the WO-132- fluorostar .These scope are much better performer than any 100mm ED;Apo etc;including the FL-102S.Finally thanks Chee Yuin for both scope.
Hi bro, thanks for the endorsement.

Hmm....one day really need to borrow my Videographer pals' tripods. I saw one which he said costed like S$3k (forgot the name!)....he uses it with his CineAlta camera. heh heh..
Actually i myself have a SLIK 700 DX, not too bad we once mounted a Nikon 500/4 and D2X on it with the stock pan/tilt head before for fun. My MAnfrotto 486RC I think useless for even a 80mm scope...hehe.

So i guess not to run into issues of "buying again in 1-2 years time", the ES127 CF + ES Twilight II should be chosen?

This looks nice, GEM + Alt-Az.... http://www.shopatron.com/products/produ ... 0.0.0?pp=8&

But as you can see i am going non-computerised this time, read so many stories about computerised mounts going haywire. iOptron mini tower controller breaking down, Meade motors wearing out etc...

Oh one thing, i am going refractor route, because i forsee that i will be doing some terrestrial as well....
vivid

Post by vivid »

I think that time Chee Yuin was selling his Mewlon 210 last year.... i was just like 1-2hrs late. Someone bought it, i was about to contact him in the early afternoon and then already pending sale.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi,Vivid
To complete the story,no need of so expensive mount;and ALL my set up are manual control--with slow motion control--to take afocal photo.The manfrotto 400 goes well with a CG4 stainless steel tripod(see celestron R150 f/5 photo in celestron website)---remember KKK26 selling a complete set at just around s$400,but do be creative and go to yong seng get some thick stainless steel washer and M6 similar(british standard for M400) long bolt and that do the job of mounting the M400.As you age,you will definite appreciate the usefulness of a SIMPLE LIGHT setup and perhaps can continue this hobby right to the age of 70s!With complicated,heavy setup,people tend to give up the hobby because they cant handle such heavy equipment due to age .As for me,I restrict myself to <10 kg per parts of whatever the equipment;making it easy to bring from ptA to ptB.Just my opinion.Thanks.
vivid

Post by vivid »

Hi Chia,

Definitely i agree with you on the weight part. :)

Did some reading and searching and found that the focusser might be below average.
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/ ... in/4538492

Can I ask if your copy (stock focusser) would pose any issue with somewhat semi-serious visual use? Or is it just blown out of proportion? Else it's another couple hundreds upgrade for that (eg not even sure if the WO DDG for Synta tubes would work with that...but i guess it should be compatible)

http://www.williamoptics.com/wo_shop/ca ... hp?sort=3a

Cheers!
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi,Vivid
The 127Apo sold to me by Chee Yuin has no issue with the focuser as he had changed it to a moonlite focuser;and the original is also bought by me.I see no issue with the focuser-original- except that I think people get confused about the function of the various adjustment screws and in the end make the wrong adjustment --for example there are 2 screws at the bottom of the focuser,one for tension,one for locking the focus position--and side by side-- and if in the dark,you adjust the wrong one,your EP may slide outward.Also,the original is not so firm and so if your afocal setup--or EP-- is heavy,when you are near the zenith,it may slide and so you have to increase the pressure on the tension knob.The moonlite focuser is perfect.My advise is--buy the scope first;if its ok for you then save the cash;however if your unit,by sheer luck had a bad focuser,then change it;but remember to get a fitting one as the 127 tube end is threaded and so you should look out for fitting threaded adapter for you WO or other focuser.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
If you are not in a hurry, I had a UniStar Deluxe Alt-Az mount coming in soon for my Celestron 6" F5 Achromatic Refractor (which is around the same length and weight as ES127 APO). Will let you know how is it.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
andeelym

Post by andeelym »

I have an Astroslew for sale and it can carry 20+kg with no problems.

Only thing is that you will have to supply the tripod and the dovetail clamps yourself.