Beginner help!

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
marx85

Beginner help!

Post by marx85 »

hi all bros here,

im just a newbie but very much interested in starting this new hobby.

any recommendation for a starter like me? considering i know nuts about it..
my budget would be below $500

i've check the buy/sell corner and noticed some bros selling their sets at $450 etc.. (Celestron AstroMaster 130EQ scope)c.. would it be advisable ? what should i look out for when i'm getting
kensou

Re: Beginner help!

Post by kensou »

i would suggest some scopes that is light weighted as a heavy scope will really deter you to go out obs more often, and also just join observation sessions to know more about different scope where you get a chance to touch it and understand it.. don't forget what you need is not just scope, you need tripod and eyepieces to make a set complete. :)

Hope this help
vivid

Post by vivid »

How about a pair of nice binos? Esp if you already have a photo tripod.

This one is quite light. Check CN forums, it's pretty well regarded, better than the Celestron etc..stuff.

Email them for shipping price, but should be in the usd75 range thereabouts.

https://www.garrettoptical.com/Garrett- ... 2080lw.htm

Even when you go deeper into the hobby next time, a pair of binos do help. A pair of binos is actually somewhat essential to astronomy even though it's like "basic".
Gary

Post by Gary »

marx85 wrote:hi all bros here,

im just a newbie but very much interested in starting this new hobby.

any recommendation for a starter like me? considering i know nuts about it..
my budget would be below $500

i've check the buy/sell corner and noticed some bros selling their sets at $450 etc.. (Celestron AstroMaster 130EQ scope)c.. would it be advisable ? what should i look out for when i'm getting
Hi Marx85. It will be good if you can read up as much as you can about the various types of telescope - what are their pros and cons.

This is a good FAQ guide to get started:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32

You may find this short write-up useful also. Especially the last links to the online articles on beginner scopes: http://www.astro.sg/p/buying-telescope.html

You may borrow books and magazines on stargazing and telescope from the public libraries (secton 520). Books like StarWare and Backyard Astronomer's Guide are very good. Magazines with be Sky &Telescope and Astronomy.

The best way to test a telescope before buying is to use it too look through at actual stars, moon and planets. You can also shine a bright flash light into the optics to see how clean is the condition of the optics. Then test all other functions that are suppose to be working on the spot to make they are working. If you have the patience to google the internet and read up about star testing through a telescope, that will be very useful in your checking of the quality of the optics too.

Thus, it is best to join some public observation sessions first and look through different scopes to have a feel of how different celestial objects looked like. Then you will have good visual basis of comparison when you checking the scope you are about to buy.

$500 is slightly on the low side for a complete telescope with decently good optics and mount and accessories (e.g. diagonals and eyepieces). After your reading up on this subject matter, you may want to continue to save up a bit more and invest on a better setup in the future.

A binocular is also a good investment and beginner "scope" if your budget is really tight and you understand what a binocular is capable and not capable of doing well and manage your expectations accordingly.

Good luck and most importantly have fun observing the Universe!
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
vivid

Post by vivid »

Yes Gary, a good pair of binos is good. 20X is not that much but seriously good enough for starhopping. You don't need no GOTOs and stuff. Alas we are not in a dark site (i suppose green/blue is good). Even a pair of 7 x 50 shows crazy amounts of stuff in a grey site in Riau called Pulau Tebbingtinggi, i was really very amazed. And nary just 10-15 mins adaptation nia.

I think souther portion of Batam facing south (Barelang bridge to the other Island called Rempang, or even the coastline south of Hang Nadim Airport) is green and perhaps blue/grey if the conditions are very clear/no haze. But too bad, that side is not very safe at night. I am sure Tg Pinang is even darker, for sure there are some grey sites there when i checked the map.