Ordering stuff from online:

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
Jonarsh

Ordering stuff from online:

Post by Jonarsh »

Hi folks,

I'm asking a newbie question again...what's your experience on ordering telescope stuff online and shipping it to Singapore:

1) Is it really cheaper the buying locally and by how much by percentage?

2) Do we have to use their designated shippers? or rather which is the most cost effective way?

3) Any issues regarding warranty? If there are any to start with...?

4) Which are the websites you guys go to most? Any recommendations?

Would very much appreciate your feedbacks!

* Jonarsh *
vivid

Re: Ordering stuff from online:

Post by vivid »

Hi there,

It's actually quite a fun yet complicated process if you want to "save" on the total costs.

These folks do international and have good customer service. High point scientific can only send to a Paypal verified address and do not accept CC.

BTW, I think if you use Maybank Credit card, they do not levy 3% unlike UOB/Citibank. Funny but true.
3% of 1k is not a lot, but 3% on 5k is a lot! Some adventure can be gotten on the US->SGD exchange rate. If your money is easy come easy go in the markets or big biz then no issue, but I think most of us are not rich...so. :mrgreen:

Check out Hands on optics
telescopes.net
Optcorp
High Point Scientific

If you are interested in UHC filters and want amongst the best and save a little in the process, check out Omega filters on Ebay on his DGM Optics NPB filters.

Cheers
Jonarsh

Post by Jonarsh »

Thanks Vivid! How about shipping...any idea which is the more economical one?
vivid

Post by vivid »

Jonarsh, that's the fun part. You'd need to do up an account, log in and then add to Cart all the stuff. Then compare shipping. The one which you order from would be the one which has the most complete set and lowest total cost. There are some fun stuff at handsonoptics and especially telescopes.net, the Canandian Duo T mount and Canadian Telescopes 152mm refractor.

OPT stocks a very big set of accessories + scopes + mounts. If you can go with USPS Express International then that usually is cheaper.

Actually I purchased quite a bit from them and they upgraded to UPS (From USPS Express International). Actually it's more like due to the 75lb weight limit if you use USPS. My shipment was 84 lbs.
Jonarsh

Post by Jonarsh »

Thanks for the useful info vivid! I will check them out....

:)
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

cheapest is to open an account with Comgateway. Tell the US dealers to ship to Comgateway's address in Portland. Then CG will ship it to you. You can consolidate multiple packages and have CG deliver them in one drop. They use DHL for the US-SG delivery to your door.

There's also Vpost from Singpost, but CG is cheaper.

For even more fun, sign up for Astromart ($12) and trawl the used goodies there. Buying used is so much cheaper than buying new if you are adventurous, as the recession in the US has people selling off their astro gear.