Binoculars and lightning

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
VeeJay

Binoculars and lightning

Post by VeeJay »

Hi all,

Beginner question here - I was looking at the moon just now with my binoculars. Away to the South, I saw lots of lightning. I was wondering if I accidentally saw the lightning through the binos, would it damage my eye?
Gary

Re: Binoculars and lightning

Post by Gary »

Found this wiki answer online. Not sure how true is that.

Q: Can watching lightning make you blind?

A: No. It's only the ultra-violet light that damages the retina, and while lightning does radiate some, it's duration is short, and (if you're still here) not too close. Arc welding is much more dangerous - because you're closer and it lasts a significant period of time.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

However, if the lightning came through the binoculars while you were looking at it, then yes, it would injure your eyes :mryellow:
DON'T PANIC
vivid

Post by vivid »

No problem.

But I viewed RWS fireworks through my 7 x 50 (think that's about 7mm exit pupil, ie bright). Bright like s***, left some bright flash spots on the retina and spoilt my ob. But luckily quite late already and ending the obs.

Thinking of getting a 20 x 80. Barska cosmos 20 x 80.

Wanted to get a Bushnell Astralis 20 x 80 when i was shopping at Xiu Shui jie in BJ for cheap thrills. With tripod support. It was only 420 RMB (original price 2800 RMB). Told him 380 (S$76) but he did not want. Now a bit regret. LOL!

Now then i see that it's porro and BAK-4. !@#!@## I'd have gotten it but i didn't have my notebook so could not check the specs.

http://www.binocularscanada.com/eNet-ca ... pid=212080
VeeJay

Post by VeeJay »

OK now I'm not so worried. Thanks guys :)