Venus transit?

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
theloathedone

Venus transit?

Post by theloathedone »

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum and astronomy in general; I don't have any equipment but am quite interested to learn more.

So anyway, I've been reading about the Venus transit coming up next week. I was just wondering, is there any good way to view it? I've heard about the eclipse glasses, but do you guys know if they can be found in Singapore? Or is there some better method?

Thanks!
Mariner
Favourite scope: Non as of now

Re: Venus transit?

Post by Mariner »

Hi there! Welcome to the club. FAQs for the transit has been summarised here viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10899.

For safety, you can use a welders glass or solar film. At the present moment guess the best source would be Astro Scientific centre although I'm not sure if they still have stocks.
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Keep Calm and Carry on Observing.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Welcome to the forum. As Mariner mentioned, the FAQ link is a good source of info. NUS have an overnight session of stargazing the night before the Venus Transit. Do join them then if you are keen to do stargazing at night too. :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
theloathedone

Post by theloathedone »

Hi,

Thanks for the FAQ! I didn't see it while I was searching for stuff on this forum.

Unfortunately, I will be overseas on an unrelated trip on the day of the transit so I won't be able to go down to the various sessions listed in the FAQ.

Haha looks like I'll be watching it through a pinhole camera -.-

Again, thanks for the help everybody!
Gary

Post by Gary »

No worries. Check if the country you will be at have an astronomy club or planetarium. Perhaps can join their sessions. Else, you can watch live streaming from the internet. Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) will be webcasting and there is no clouds in space. :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.