greeting from 2nd days newbie.

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
bern
Favourite scope: So far none.

Re: greeting from 2nd days newbie.

Post by bern »

Gary wrote:
bern wrote:cos if just buy a 2x barlow will cost me at least 140 and this whole set at just 140 with gst. so think kind of good buy lor.
Research more into the specifications of the $140 barlow (e.g is it using better multi-coated ED lens? body mainly plastic?...etc) vs the barlow in the whole set. Else you will not be able to objectively conclude whether which is a good or better buy. Best, look through a few of them during sidewalks and see if your eyes can see a difference.
140 for whole set should be plastic make lens. if not have to look at their OMNI barlow 149 or Ultima Barlow 249 w/out gst.
Gary

Post by Gary »

If the weather is clear tonight, there is good chance we will have a sidewalk session tonight. Come join us if you are free. I will bring my 2x barlow and Clifford's 5x telexender along.
Last edited by Gary on Wed May 30, 2012 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Gary

Post by Gary »

bern wrote:
Gary wrote:
bern wrote:cos if just buy a 2x barlow will cost me at least 140 and this whole set at just 140 with gst. so think kind of good buy lor.
Research more into the specifications of the $140 barlow (e.g is it using better multi-coated ED lens? body mainly plastic?...etc) vs the barlow in the whole set. Else you will not be able to objectively conclude whether which is a good or better buy. Best, look through a few of them during sidewalks and see if your eyes can see a difference.
140 for whole set should be plastic make lens. if not have to look at their OMNI barlow 149 or Ultima Barlow 249 w/out gst.
A barlow can be a very useful accessory throughout your astronomy "career". So investing in one good one for life may be a good idea.

-- John Dobson.
bern

Post by bern »

Gary wrote:If the weather is clear tonight, there is good chance we will have a sidewalk session tonight. Come join us if you are free. I will bring my 2x barlow and Clifford's 5x telexender along.
what time you guys meet up and at where? if can will try to make it there.
Davegn
Favourite scope: 94" Ritchey Chrétien reflector telescope

Post by Davegn »

Hi bern,
Pm you the info already. :mryellow:
Dave Ng
Bishan Park SideWalk Astronomy
http://www.facebook.com/SingaporeSidewalkAstronomy
bern

Post by bern »

good one too ex lei might not get approver from oc....when i bring the telescope home kanak telescope till moon liao.
Gary

Post by Gary »

bern wrote:good one too ex lei might not get approver from oc....when i bring the telescope home kanak telescope till moon liao.
Bring your OC along tonight. For all you know she may be stunned by how Saturn looked and raise your astro budget. :P

-- John Dobson.
bern

Post by bern »

Gary wrote:
bern wrote:good one too ex lei might not get approver from oc....when i bring the telescope home kanak telescope till moon liao.
Bring your OC along tonight. For all you know she may be stunned by how Saturn looked and raise your astro budget. :P
hahahah..........hope she want to. anyway can't make it tonite having dinner with family members.
will try to make it with oc the next round.
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

One small note about increasing your magnification: Your telescope is a 114mm diameter, 1000mm focal length 'scope, which means that a 5mm eyepiece, producing 200x gives an exit pupil of 0.57mm, which is close to the smallest recommended exit pupil. Adding a Barlow will result in an exit pupil of 0.28mm, which is really tiny. At this magnification you might find floaters within your eye severely interferring with your image.
Exit pupil is the diameter of the image produced at the eyepiece. This is determined by the telescope's aperture, divided by the magnification (i.e. 114/200 = 0.57mm). Generally the advice is to keep the exit pupil between 7mm and 0.5mm (any larger and light is lost outside your pupils, since young pupils maximally dilate to 7mm, smaller and floaters become very prominent). Most of my observing is done with exit pupils between 1mm and 4mm
So while it is possible to add a Barlow, you might not like the resultant image. I strongly suggest you try one before purchase :)
DON'T PANIC
bern

Post by bern »

cloud_cover wrote:One small note about increasing your magnification: Your telescope is a 114mm diameter, 1000mm focal length 'scope, which means that a 5mm eyepiece, producing 200x gives an exit pupil of 0.57mm, which is close to the smallest recommended exit pupil. Adding a Barlow will result in an exit pupil of 0.28mm, which is really tiny. At this magnification you might find floaters within your eye severely interferring with your image.
Exit pupil is the diameter of the image produced at the eyepiece. This is determined by the telescope's aperture, divided by the magnification (i.e. 114/200 = 0.57mm). Generally the advice is to keep the exit pupil between 7mm and 0.5mm (any larger and light is lost outside your pupils, since young pupils maximally dilate to 7mm, smaller and floaters become very prominent). Most of my observing is done with exit pupils between 1mm and 4mm
So while it is possible to add a Barlow, you might not like the resultant image. I strongly suggest you try one before purchase :)
ok noted thanks