The Science Centre Observatory

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: The Science Centre Observatory

Post by Airconvent »

You can find out more details on the telescope here, courtesy of a fellow Pentaxian like me :) :

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4538

As I recall, the Japanese government specially commissioned Pentax to build the telescope as a gift to Singapore when the Science Centre was being built. Today it is the second largest telescope in Singapore. (The largest as far as I know is Elton's 18" Zambuto truss dob but then again, maybe some TASOS member may even have bigger ones)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
spykid27
Favourite scope: meade/celestron

Post by spykid27 »

just a question: I know dobs are large apetures, but are they more cheaper than other normal telescopes with the same aperture?
spykid27
Favourite scope: meade/celestron

Post by spykid27 »

hey mr low, nwxt week you setting up too? If you do, I will come :mryellow:
rlow

Post by rlow »

Generally speaking, dobs are indeed cheaper than other types of scope of the same aperture.

Will I set up next week? Firstly, it depends on the sky condition. If the sky is overcast, there is no point to set up a scope. Secondly, it depends on whether I am free that evening. If it is a clear moonless night, I may be observing at Sedili rather than at the Science Centre.

Last night was a busy but tiring evening for me, as there were many kids wanting to view through the 15" dob. Good to see an old friend David Lian there. Seeing was quite good and everyone had a good look at Saturn bright and sharp at 533x magnification. Encke Division was clearly visible but the public was not too keen to observe this; instead more people were keen to look for the moons of Saturn :)

Richard Low
Mariner
Favourite scope: Non as of now

Re: science center observatory

Post by Mariner »

spykid27 wrote:eh... I thought it was a pentax... or maybe it just worked on a pentax drive motor.
Paiseh. I must have mixed it up with another one.

Wow, Richard. I must pay your Dob a visit one of these days. I see Naglers.... (Drool)... [smilie=admire.gif]
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Keep Calm and Carry on Observing.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Great job Mr Low! :)

Seeing was good! Counting moons is fun in your dob! Pasam Malam at Toa Payoh is finally over. Hope to see your big dob here soon :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
rlow

Post by rlow »

Not a Nagler...its a Ethos SX
Richard Low
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Your dob become really tall on the tracking platform... and be careful with the kids head... ha ha ha :mrgreen:

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen: