The Science Centre Observatory

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
spykid27
Favourite scope: meade/celestron

The Science Centre Observatory

Post by spykid27 »

Hello.
I do know on fridays, the science centre observatory hosts sessions for stargazing from 7-10pm. I've been there and found that they off the lights at the observing ground (plus even better, there's a grass patch to set up telescopes, better for them to thermally become stable). But my question is that is the science center place a good site for stargazing? It's the closes place to my home though.
Mariner
Favourite scope: Non as of now

Re: science center observatory

Post by Mariner »

It may not be the best but it is easily accessible. Not to mention that 16 inch Takahashi within the dome, and the variety of scopes deployed during the observation sessions make it a suitable place for the public to get close up and compare the capabilities.
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Keep Calm and Carry on Observing.
spykid27

Post by spykid27 »

eh... I thought it was a pentax... or maybe it just worked on a pentax drive motor.
Gary

Post by Gary »

spykid27 wrote:Hello.
I do know on fridays, the science centre observatory hosts sessions for stargazing from 7-10pm. I've been there and found that they off the lights at the observing ground (plus even better, there's a grass patch to set up telescopes, better for them to thermally become stable). But my question is that is the science center place a good site for stargazing? It's the closes place to my home though.
Whether it is good site depends on what objects you are looking at. And the overall local light pollution around the observation site. The observation site itself can switch of all lights but if its immediate surrounding is still very bright lit, then it might not make a huge significant difference for dim DSOs. Thus the advantage of looking at dim DSOs at the direction facing open see is better than inland in an already light polluted city/country.

But for planets, not such a big deal. Sky seeing condition and ability to react to seeing the planets when the seeing is good is more important. Thus the closer proximity of SSC to your place has the advantage. Plus, if Rlow is there with his 15" dob, arguably the best *for public viewing* place in Singapore. :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.

Post by sTiCkY »

It is quite ok if the golf course is closed..
spykid27

Post by spykid27 »

Cool! A dob with suck high aperture! My budget only permits me to get a refractor at the 60-80mm range, but I heard refractors perform better than newtonians in light polluted areas. My low budget also allows me only to get a altazimuth mount. Prehaps when i get rich, ill buy a celestar 8... Heh.
rlow

Post by rlow »

15" dob is going tonight :)
Richard Low
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

rlow wrote:15" dob is going tonight :)
Damn! Wish I'd had advance warning! Now too lazy to get out already! [smilie=bad-atmosphere.gif]
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Gary

Post by Gary »

Mariner wrote:
Damn! Wish I'd had advance warning! Now too lazy to get out already! [smilie=bad-atmosphere.gif]
Scope volunteer not complaining lazy you complain lazy! Hahaha. Later don't regret the reports of people counting Saturn's moons through his big dob. :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Gary wrote:
Mariner wrote:
Scope volunteer not complaining lazy you complain lazy! Hahaha. Later don't regret the reports of people counting Saturn's moons through his big dob. :)
Boh pian. Wife is back and not feeling well. [smilie=desperate.gif]
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!