New Moon sighting for the beginning of Ramadan

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
ainunnajib

New Moon sighting for the beginning of Ramadan

Post by ainunnajib »

Hi, I'm totally new to astronomy let alone to this forum.

Please kindly excuse me for asking this question.

I want to see new moon (hilal / crescent) rising with my own eye in marking the beginning of Islamic fasting month, Ramadan. I only know that it is likely visible to be sighted with naked eye sometime before dusk on 20th July (which means Ramadan starts 21st July).

My question, what time exactly, and upon which direction to see, and for how long of time will it be visible in Singapore?

I'm eagerly waiting for knowledge sharing from the experts here.

Thanks!

Ainun Najib
Gary

Re: New Moon sighting for the beginning of Ramadan

Post by Gary »

Hi ainunnajib. Welcome to the forum.

Found this on the net, hopeful it is useful and accurate:
http://moonsighting.com/1433rmd.html
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Welcome to Singastro Ainun Najib
The main problem here in Singapore are the clouds. They offer heavy cover most of the time and the thing about new moon is that brief moment of opportunity. But you can still try..that's what astronomers in singapore...try and try everyday until a clear sky appears! :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

Hi ainunnajib,

You could download the free planetarium program Stellarium to ascertain what the sky (Moon, planets, stars, etc) would look like on 20th July from Singapore:
http://www.stellarium.org/

Below is a screenshot from Stellarium for Singapore at 7.30pm on 20th July. It shows that the Moon should be visible at 1.8% illuminated, in the West and about 8 degrees low above the horizon. (As a rule of thumb, or a rule of hand?, if you hold your clenched fist outstretched far in front of you, the width of your fist would represent about 10 degrees.)

Mercury would be near the Moon on 20th July. You could use Mercury as a guide in the few days before 20th July to find a place where you could get a clear view of that area of sky, i.e. to practice/rehearse.

However, all that theory aside, as Airconvent has pointed out, it is often very cloudy here in Singapore. And particularly if you're looking for an object just 8 degrees low above the horizon, it is very likely going to be obscured by low level clouds in the far distance.

Nevertheless, you could give it a try, and I suggest that you use binoculars to aid in your sighting of the Moon (caution: never look at the Sun with any optical device). I might want to try the Moon sighting too.

By the way, I was told that in the old days (perhaps pre-1980s?), the exact date of the two Hari Raya public holidays in Singapore depended on the sighting of the crescent Moon on the day before, so if it was not seen on the first day then the public holiday would take place 2 days later, etc. However, the government later changed it to fixed dates, e.g. this year it would be 19 August and 26 October. Does any one know when it was changed to fixed dates in Singapore?

ainunnajib

Post by ainunnajib »

Thank you starfinder for such comprehensive and elaborate reply, for a newbie's question some more :-)

And thank you guys for your replies.

This looks challenging, hopefully I can find a good spot and perhaps some good gadget to do this.

Looking forward to Friday evening :-D
ainunnajib

Post by ainunnajib »

Dear Friends,

I and my friend went to Punggol Beach yesterday evening.
I saw in some photography forum that this is the best spot to capture sunset, and it was indeed clear view towards west sky.

Unfortunately, as already previously warned here, the cloud was very thick on west side. We couldn't even see the sun at all, let alone the young moon.

Maybe I will have better luck next time.

But then I am also curious, it is mentioned that during the old days, people went for New Moon sighting at southernmost part of Singapore. Would it make any difference if I went to, say, Siloso Beach instead of Punggol Beach (which is north)?
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi ainunnajib. Singapore is a small island. No matter where you go, there will be no drastic significant change in weather patterns. With that in mind, choose a place where you have good view of the horizon facing the sea and/or high up in the roof top of a building/hill. Then try to reduce as much local light pollution around your observing spot to dark adapt your eyes so you have high chance of catching the dim new Moon.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.