New qns

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
orly_andico

Re: New qns

Post by orly_andico »

well i can bring the NPB (only 1.25" sadly) to Mersing if you're going.

like i said - it DOES improve the view. Just not enough to wow me. but maybe they're all like that.. my expectations may be too high because i never did urban astronomy back in Manila.. only in dark skies (200km drive from Manila - darker than Sedili) where my (then) 10" f5 dob put up really great images.
dysam

Post by dysam »

Thx for the tips. one last question, is the Celestron UHC LPR Multilayer Telescope Filter a good buy for viewing nebulae such as m42? Cause now my scope only gives me a white patch.
Mariner
Favourite scope: Non as of now

Post by Mariner »

dysam wrote:Thx for the tips. one last question, is the Celestron UHC LPR Multilayer Telescope Filter a good buy for viewing nebulae such as m42? Cause now my scope only gives me a white patch.
Save your money on a decent UHC filter. The Celestron LPR/UHC filter is not worth it.
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Keep Calm and Carry on Observing.
Gary

Post by Gary »

dysam wrote:Thx for the tips. one last question, is the Celestron UHC LPR Multilayer Telescope Filter a good buy for viewing nebulae such as m42? Cause now my scope only gives me a white patch.
Since you mentioned "only gives me a *white* patch", I am going to make an assumption here which can be totally wrong of course -- you may be expecting (consciously or subconsciously) to see some colour of M42 through this filter visually through your telescope.

On the official website for this filter, there is a colourful M42 user-submitted image directly underneath the main filter photo :
http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/acce ... 25-in.html

This may be misleading (or smart marketing) to visually associate the idea that with that filter, you may see M42 like that. This is of course not true. You cannot see that amount of colours *visually* in any scope of any size.

So the best way to see a way much better white/grey M42 visually is to bring your scope to dark clear skies (e.g. Johor) instead of relying on various accessories (e.g. filters) to see it better in light polluted Singapore skies.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Mariner
Favourite scope: Non as of now

Post by Mariner »

orly_andico wrote:well i can bring the NPB (only 1.25" sadly) to Mersing if you're going.

like i said - it DOES improve the view. Just not enough to wow me. but maybe they're all like that.. my expectations may be too high because i never did urban astronomy back in Manila.. only in dark skies (200km drive from Manila - darker than Sedili) where my (then) 10" f5 dob put up really great images.
Not able to go this time round. [smilie=bad-atmosphere.gif]
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Keep Calm and Carry on Observing.