What's the difference between.....

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
Sendong Schumacher
Favourite scope: Tbd

What's the difference between.....

Post by Sendong Schumacher »

Hi

Just wanna ask what's the difference between Cassegrain, Refractor and Reflector telescopes? I tried reading about them but i just can't seem to understand anything about it. Maybe you guys can explain it to me in a more "much easy to understand" terms.
Thanks
Gary

Re: What's the difference between.....

Post by Gary »

Difference in terms of what? Basic design?

Try reading this FAQ by acc --> viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32

Can also try reading the links here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_telescope_types

Any terms after reading them you still don't understand, feel free to ask here.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

I posted this in a different thread before seeing your question :)
Regarding the various types of scopes, most decent quality scopes of the same size will produce fairly similar images so don't fret too much about their type unless you intend to do astro-pohotography.
Generally a refractor is the best all-rounder but comes at the cost of steepest price per aperture size.
A Cassegrain/SCT is compact, in the middle as far as pricing is concerned but sacrifices some optical quality compared to refractors (there's a lot of technical debate here, but I'll leave that for the technicians Suffice to say that unless you're quite discerning, you'll probably not really notice, or not notice enough to mind). Having said that, the cheaper cost per size of aperture allows you to buy, for the same price, a bigger Cassegrain compared to Refractor, and that bigger scope will usually show a better image.
A true reflector, such as a Newtonian or Dobsonian is the cheapest per size of aperture but will require some skills in collimating and maintaining collimation. Not as hard as it sounds but it will require a bit of work and extra knowledge as you set up.
Buying 2nd hand is a great idea as it means that should you upgrade or sell out, your loss will be much less as compared to first hand.
DON'T PANIC
spykid27
Favourite scope: meade/celestron

Post by spykid27 »

hey Schumacher, I know reading and picking up facts can be confusing, so a good thing I suggest you to do is to experience the different types of telescopes firsthand. Try popping over to the Astronomy Events & Observation Sessions forum and see when can you join a sidewalk session to look through the scopes and learn more hands on!