Newbie...late starter...Jupiter!

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
lotsafruit

Newbie...late starter...Jupiter!

Post by lotsafruit »

Hi everyone

Just started this hobby, thanks to my kids:D Hope to learn more from everyone here.

Recently acquired nice bino from a certain senior and have been surveying the skies almost everynight. Last night spotted Jupiter despite cloudy skies when some part of skies opened up! I even saw the 4 moons. And also Capella I think, checked with Google skymap.

It was so amazing! Only problem was family asleep already so couldnt share then and if this keeps up, i might start to look like KaiKai the panda lol.

Cheers
Kah Wai
Cheers
Kah Wai
Owner of bino + C6 150mm f5 newt + 2kids
yltansg
Favourite scope: Borg 76 + Solar Scope SF50

Re: Newbie...late starter...Jupiter!

Post by yltansg »

Hi Kah Wai,

Thanks for sharing.

Like you I picked up astronomy because I drove my wife and son to an astronomy presentation. Subsequently, the help from this community is instrumental in me sustaining my interest. You are tuned in to the right channel :)

Hope to hear more from you.

Alfred
Mariner
Favourite scope: Non as of now

Post by Mariner »

Hi Kah Wai,

Not to worry! The movement of the King of Planets is such that it will be appearing earlier by the day as Earth "catches up" to it.

You will be able to share the view eventually in the late to early evenings, provided someone nearby dun get new "toys" then.... Curse of new Astronomical equipment.
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Keep Calm and Carry on Observing.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Kai Wah. Welcome to the forum! Congrats on getting a quality bino and spotting Jupiter and Capella!

Using Jupiter's location as rough guide, try to look for Pleiades (M45) and Hyades star clusters (move your bino around Alderbaraan) and you will wake up your family early in the morning for super early breakfast!

[smilie=admire2.gif]
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
bern
Favourite scope: So far none.

Post by bern »

Hi Lotsafruit, care to share which bino you're using. intent to get one but don't know which to get.
If Jupiter can be see clearly with a bino than my life will be easy. Don't have to move the telescope around so much.
lotsafruit

Post by lotsafruit »

bern wrote:Hi Lotsafruit, care to share which bino you're using. intent to get one but don't know which to get.
If Jupiter can be see clearly with a bino than my life will be easy. Don't have to move the telescope around so much.
Hi Bern

I am using a Oberwerk 11x56 bino, I guess a 10x50 will do as well. I can't see the details of Jupiter, just a yellow disc with 4 dots around it with good seeing. Your telescope can probably see more.

Still, Jupiter was visible to naked eye as a very bright yellow dot at ~1.30am.
Cheers
Kah Wai
lotsafruit

Post by lotsafruit »

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

It took me about half my lifetime before realising what I was missing. Knowing all the astronomy stuff from books and TV, just can't beat seeing it with your own eyes! :D And it all started with a trip to Science centre observatory with my family, which turned out to be one of the most exciting things I have done in a while.

Now I always look up :)
Cheers
Kah Wai
bern
Favourite scope: So far none.

Post by bern »

Thanks for the info. But now if wanna look at Jupiter have to stay up very late.