Order from Amazon

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
alan tan
Favourite scope: celestron

Order from Amazon

Post by alan tan »

Hi all,

Can anyone advise me whether is it safe in terms of delivery and lost/broken to order a celestron scope from Amazon.com?

Thks
VinSnr
Administrator

Re: Order from Amazon

Post by VinSnr »

alan tan wrote:Hi all,

Can anyone advise me whether is it safe in terms of delivery and lost/broken to order a celestron scope from Amazon.com?

Thks
should be quite safe. However, they may not ship direct to SGP, so may have to go through Vpost.
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

It won't be covered by warranty either as you did not buy from the local dealer (astroscientific). As for amazon itself, I believe if Amazon is the merchant (i.e. not from a Marketplace Partner), returns are accepted within 30days but the shipping can kill.
Do take note that for computerized scopes, there is a small but nonetheless significant failure rate out of the box, if the impression I get from the US forums is correct.
However, yes, it will be significantly cheaper than buying direct in Singapore, even after shipping.
Other than vpost, I suggest you look at other sites such as www.comgateway.com (cheaper)
If your package is very bulky (likely to be), www.myus.com is even cheaper but requires a subscription.
Also consider other big astronomy merchants such as www.optcorp.com and www.astronomics.com They are run by astronomers so they tend to be pretty passionate and helpful about their equipment.
Finally, if you don't mind used, check out the classifieds on www.cloudynights.com or www.astromart.com The stuff is usually significantly cheaper than new, usually very well cared for but of course, buyer beware. As a reference, 100% of my telescopes and major equipment (including a Sphinx SXD) are bought second hand.
DON'T PANIC
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

even if buying in the US, you will suffer a 15% to 40% depreciation if you buy new and sell it.

so it's far better to buy used.

(the 15% depreciation is for Astro-Physics gear; if your equipment is not of that level, expect even bloodier depreciation)
shirox
Favourite scope: Takahashi FSQ85EDX

Post by shirox »

Maybe u wanna change the topic to wtb with scope model.
U might be surprised and save some cost. [smilie=cheer.gif]
http://eltonastronomy.blogspot.com/

Mersing finally installed some water sink!
alan tan
Favourite scope: celestron

Post by alan tan »

Hi,

Yes, looking to buy a Celestron SE.

Rdgs
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

someone is selling a nexstar 8SE for $1100... locally.
jeffyen
Favourite scope: Nexstar 8SE

Post by jeffyen »

Just to exchange notes, I shipped an 8SE here using amazon. :)

http://jeffyen.blogspot.sg/2012/03/cele ... rised.html