Kim Tian / Tiong Bahru - Recommended Stargazing Areas

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Re: Kim Tian / Tiong Bahru - Recommended Stargazing Areas

Post by cloud_cover »

Congrats! :)
Yeah, Stellarium really helps a lot in knowing where you are in the night sky. I used it to start out when all I had was a pair of binocs and the laptop. I remember heading downstairs, plonking my canvas director's chair on the grass, dimmed laptop on my lap and pair of binocs in my hand. Very nice except for the bugs :)
Today I still use it for observation session planning or even astro-photography planning and framing so its a very useful tool. And you can't beat the price :mrgreen:
Now wait till Saturn comes up again...... that's going to be quite something to see!
DON'T PANIC
lotsafruit

Post by lotsafruit »

By Jupiter!

Lol...the very same planet I spotted the first time star gazing not long ago. Congrats on spotting it :D
Cheers
Kah Wai
Owner of bino + C6 150mm f5 newt + 2kids
varguspike
Favourite scope: Celestron PowerSeeker 76AZ

Post by varguspike »

cloud_cover wrote:Congrats! :)
Yeah, Stellarium really helps a lot in knowing where you are in the night sky. I used it to start out when all I had was a pair of binocs and the laptop. I remember heading downstairs, plonking my canvas director's chair on the grass, dimmed laptop on my lap and pair of binocs in my hand. Very nice except for the bugs :)
Today I still use it for observation session planning or even astro-photography planning and framing so its a very useful tool. And you can't beat the price :mrgreen:
Now wait till Saturn comes up again...... that's going to be quite something to see!
hey.. so when does saturn come up again? can i see it with my telescope?

lotsafruit - thanks! hope to see more in the coming months!
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

Saturn rises at 6am nowadays so by the time its high enough to give a good view, the sun is up.
However, by mid-march Saturn will rise at 10pm so that a good view can be certainly had by midnight :)
DON'T PANIC
tung

Post by tung »

Hello varguspike, I am new to this~ I am staying nearby tiong bahru area, I dont have a telescope.. Do you mind if I join u for some stargazing session?? [smilie=admire2.gif]
Gary

Post by Gary »

tung wrote:Hello varguspike, I am new to this~ I am staying nearby tiong bahru area, I dont have a telescope.. Do you mind if I join u for some stargazing session?? [smilie=admire2.gif]
Hi Tung. Welcome to the forum! Weather permitting, there will be stargazing session tonight outside Toa Payoh Library. Feel free to drop by and take a look at and through our telescopes. :)

More info: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11518
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Hi varguspike
Are you the same guy I talked to playing with the Celestron 76mm just now? I could not catch your nick clearly. Its a nice cute scope and nice to use. And we go to see Jupiter on it..hehe It even enticed someone there (she knows who she is!), so maybe you will have a another owner soon.

BTW, we did previously hold sidewalk astronomy sessions at Tiong Bahru Park next to Tiong Bahru Plaza. But the place is not as popular as Bishan and Toa Payoh because Gary and Dave don't live there. :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets